Gene Stealer

Set in a post-apocalyptic world, my second short 'story' encounters a stand off between a survivor and a genetically engineered.... thing... Again, it's decent for what it is.

****

The dry, arid dust crumbles in my grasp as the hot, hard sun beats down on my upturned face. I'd say the temperature is around 40 degrees: that is the average for south-east Britain nowadays. I'm kneeling on a mound of dirt in, um, a street, I believe the name is.

If I look left, I see a brown-grey building of about 4 stories with blown out windows and chips in the stonework all over it. If I look right, I see a meat shop with no glass front and a counter covered in a thick layer of dust and grime. If I look forwards, a similar sight meets my eyes, and backwards, the same.

I hear a moaning behind me, so I stand up and spin. There is a man in torn grey overalls, with grey-green puss oozing from several wounds. His face is bloody and torn, and very worn out. This, however, is not a zombie; this is a Gene-Stealer. The name comes from their trait to kill you and then take your DNA to clone you, as they are genetically engineered war organisms.

I pull a heavy gun from my belt, a Type-F Electromagnetic HEAT Gun, and point it at the Stealer. A switch by my thumb is red, so I press it resulting in a change to green, and it starts humming. I look through the iron-sight at its head and fire...