Chapter 18/Harvard High

A/N Another fun week and we a really pleased to kick the main part of the text off. 

Video:  Job-gobbling Robots and AI are Destroying Workers' Livelihoods Right Now. Discussion about people loosing their jobs to AI. The book covers a world after this happens.

Earth/North America/8:30/Northern Hyper loop. 

Facebook following: 143

Next Monday I got onto the hyper loop in Atlanta at the ungodly hour of 8:00 in the morning. A year in school, well college, such a terrible punishment. I was super resentful. In fact I was the Christopher Columbus of resentful given that I had now discovered and entirely new continent of resentfulness that I was hither to unaware of.

I noticed far down the carriage Miss bad it-girl got on as well. That really pushed it. Not only was she evil, better looking than me and enjoyed being worshipped by men but worst crime of all she was clearly a morning person. grrrr . Note to self - can I arrange a hole bunch of shotguns pointing upwards as an art piece which due to excessive heel clicking might be accidentally be set off? I arrived 30 minutes later in Cambridge Massachusetts for my first day of University. Harvard, This isn't what I had had in mind I was hoping to go to a decent college.

With falling population Harvard had reached down the academic ladder such that it had a high school attached. You could start in kindergarten and stay all the way up to a Doctorate. By lunch time I found myself in the student cafeteria which was now part of the F**K franchise sitting with George and Leo. It turned out that they also went to Harvard high. This wasn't surprising most people in the planet either went to Harvard, Yale, Oxford or Cambridge. The population wasn't big enough to keep a large number of universities open and the big universities had survived by franchising them selves out. There was also a Harvard on Mars and the only place you could find the old earth MIT logo was on mars which after the revolt had been rebranded 'Martian Institute of Technology'.

****

Earth/North America/Boston/Harvard/F**K cafeteria. Lunch time.

"So what have you been doing this morning?" asked George, sipping her FofK coffee.

"Not much, registering, I had a long talk with the principal robot, it went on and on about stamping out slut shaming. After that I did some tests including is very weird one where I chatted to a guy down the phone for half an hour."

"That last one was the Turing test" said a blonde classmate called Heather she was sitting next to Leo.

'<zing> Heather Kelk: Hobbies include breathing, chewing food 23 times and pronouncing the letter R. Known associate of Octavia, Evangeline and Mary Ann. Yes those are all her own green eyes. Girl once voted the most likely to be a reincarnation of Cleopatra's cat. Widely rumoured to be dating Red-Greg ', said my earrings. I was slowly starting to be convinced that b1tch.net was not the most reliable source of information.

"Turing test?" I asked licking some FooK yoghurt from a spoon.

"Yes, it tests if you are human or not. Well it tests if you can think in a human way. It's a standard test you have to pass to get registered for school. Passing the test is mandatory to activate your account on UN-Facebook. Bots are forbidden and your Turing test pass number enables it"

"What if you fail it?" I wondered looking around.

"Only robots can fail the test, and if Blinks can pass it anybody can" said George.

Wow a test Binks could pass but a robot couldn't that was pretty tricky. Binks it turned out also attended the school while his new wife Lucy traveled to a branch of Yale in India a long 50-minute commute every morning. Octavia , Henderika and Mary Ann turned up, they were both new and friends of the slightly scrumptious Heather.