Chapter Nine

I woke in the morning, face stiff with dried tears. I sat up slowly, but no bruises twanged. A nurse had come in the middle of the night and healed the rest of my injuries, taking away the pain. 

It's too bad she couldn't take away the memories as well.

I got dressed, glancing at the clock to make sure I wouldn't be late. I had time. Just as I finished dressing, there was a knock on the front door. I listened carefully as a maid answered it. I heard her go to fetch my Father, then hurry over to my door.

A maid entered my room. "You must pack," She told me before leaving. I stare after her in confusion, but pack everything I would need for a trip all the same. Shurikan, Kunai, paper bombs, wire, extra clothes... everything went into my small grey bag. I stopped short. How would you spell grey? Gray? Grey... hmm... I like "grey" better then "gray" I decided.

I jump as my name is called, and I quickly zip the bag, hurrying towards the front door. I skid around the corner, peering around my father through the door. My team stood there, ready and waiting. 

"Yes?" I ask, "What's happening?"

"Our first real mission is happening!" Daisuke cheered while Shun rolled his eyes but grinned as well.

Father turned, walking away, but pauses just to the side of me. "Make me proud," He breathes, but it sounded more like a threat then encouragement.

I brush it off and walk outside, closing the door behind me. "The Hokage sent for us. We're supposed to be there in..." Sensei paused to snap open his fob watch, "Oh! Thirty seconds," He smiled.

"Last one there's a rotten egg!" Shun shouts, sprinting away. Daisuke grins and races after him, I close on his tail. We race through the streets, cutting around people, dashing down allies and jumping over rooftops.

We were neck to neck, but Daisuke was pulling ahead. No, Shun was. Now I was. But then both boys overtook me. I growled lowly. Let's see if I can do this. 

I concentrate, trying to push my chakra to my feet. After several attempts it works, but it’s wild and uncontrolled. I sprint ahead of the boys, grinning at my newfound speed. But soon my chakra tapers out, leaving me exhausted and letting the other two catch up to me as we sprint up the stairs.

We all slam through the Hokage's door and land in a sweaty, exhausted heap. "I won!" We shout in unison, and then burst out laughing.

"We tied," Sun admitted, disentangling himself from the tangled heap of limbs. I push Daisuke's foot from my face, standing as well.

"Great job, guys," Sensei smiled, "Though you didn't have to take out the Hokage's door," He raised an eyebrow. "That was great chakra control, Fuzen. Where did you learn it?" he asked.

"I didn't waste my day off! I studied a bit and saw that technique and decided to try it out," I told him.

"That was great for your first time," He nodded to himself, thinking. "Anyhow, slowpokes, the Hokage is going to explain the mission to you,"

We immediately straighten up, turning towards the amused Hokage. We bow together, and then eagerly wait for our instructions.  Our first real mission: one that didn’t involve whining, sticky kids, weeding under the hot sun, or picking up garbage in the forest.

“Your mission is a C ranked mission. It’s fairly simple: You must escort someone to their village safely. You must take all measures to ensure their safety. We aren’t expecting any enemy nin to attack. They only requested the protection from bandits, thieves… so we decided to give you a chance,”