Chapter Twenty Seven

"Sensei!" I called out as we sprung onto the rooftop where he stood.

"Fuzen," he greeted, clearly relieved, "Daisuke, Shun. And... Mizuko...?"

Mizuko glanced to the side, grabbing his elbow nervously, clearly feeling extremely awkward. Sensing his discomfort Sensei immediately changed the subject.

"Did you guys have any trouble?"

Daisuke hesitated, but said, "Nothing we couldn't handle."

Respect for him surged through me. We were still on a mission, and he knew better than to break down. His mental state wouldn't compromise the team's safety.

"Then let's get started," Sensei nodded.

The fights were long and hard mostly. Most of the shinobi we went up against were chunin rank or higher. It was exhausting, though we did have breaks in between the pockets of fighting.

Soon enough fewer and fewer sand shinobi jumped to fight us. Sensei took the thinning enemies as a good sign. "We've been able to push the enemies back and help the citizens who didn't make it to safe areas escape. Good work, slowpokes."

Daisuke let's out a breath and collapsed on the edge of the rooftop. "Konoha," he gasped, trying to catch his breath, "It's been destroyed."

Sensei gazed at the rubble and shambles of buildings. "Konoha has seen worse and recovered. She'll rise from her own destruction, stronger than before," he reassured. He turned to Mizuko. "Mizuko... Should you return to your team?"

Mizuko looked away. "Well, o-o-one of my teammates is dead, and the other... Well, h-he tried to, uh, kill me, so..." He stammered awkwardly.

"Don't worry about it," sensei smiled towards him, "I'm sure there's place in Konoha for you yet."

***

I stood next to Shun and Daisuke, watching the Hokage's funeral. I felt my shoulders slump and sadness weigh me down. I leaned into Daisuke for support.

"Do you think the ninja I killed is having a funeral right now?" Daisuke whispered.

I looked up at him. Looking into his eyes, I don't bother with reassurance or pity. "Maybe," I finally say, "Probably."

"I killed him."

"I know."

"Do you think I'm a monster?" He asks, voice breaking.

I turn and face him. "No, Daisuke. I think you're a hero."

Something in his eyes breaks and tears pour down his face.  "Will I ever be able to forget?"

I stay silent for a moment. "I think... If it's something you're supposed to forget, then you will."

"And if not?"

"Then maybe you're supposed to remember."

He takes a deep breath, regaining control. "I'll walk you home," he offers.

I scuff my shoe on the ground. "I don't really want to go home."

"Huh? Why?"

"I just don't think my family... Would be very... Supportive, right now..." I murmur.

"I'll always protect you Fuzen. Get it? From anyone. If you don't want to go home, come and stay in my guest room."

I nearly start crying at the simple offer. "One day I'll take you up on that," I whisper.

"But not today?" He smiles sadly.

I shake my head. "It's just--"

"Don't worry about it, Fuzen. But know that I'm always here for you. Always. For anything. Get it?"