Chapter 24

Sollux

I scanned the walls of the weapon storage room. I didn't know what to grab. Pretty much any weapon you could imagine was in that room. There were swords, guns, bows, and even some things that didn't even count as weapons but could probably be deadly if put in the right hands (Ever tried killing someone with a wooden spoon? Well, I wouldn't recommend it, but to each their own). But I had no idea what I was supposed to pick. I usually relied on my psiionics for battle, I wasn't used to using weapons. Now that none of us had any sort of powers anymore, what was I expected to do?

I ran my hand along the racks on the wall. If I had to use any of these things to fight zombies, I would definitely die. Suddenly a gun in the corner of the room caught my eye. All the others on the rack were silver or black, but this one was a light blue and seemed to be glowing. I walked over to it and picked it up.

It looked transparent. I turned it over in my hand, but it didn't feel solid. It felt like I was somehow holding something that wasn't there. What?

I squinted and saw that the part of the gun that I could actually see was made up of... binary code? It was just like the dream I had the other day. Scared, I set it down on the table in the middle of the room and rubbed my eyes.

When I opened them, I was in even more shock. The whole room had turned into those blue hologram-like shapes. I stared in awe and looked around the room. I didn't know what was going on, but I wanted it to stop. It was giving me a headache. I glanced out the window to see that it was the same out there, and even the undead crawling through the streets had become ghosts.

Suddenly, a flash of light blinded me and I recoiled, squeezing my eyes shut. I reopened them to see the exact same scene as my dream. I was standing back-to-back with Aradia, shooting at a circle of zombies that kept crawling closer and closer. Sure enough, the very same events as in my dream began to unfold. Only I couldn't move aside from what I had done before. I was completely powerless against what was about to happen.

My surroundings turned into the all-too-familiar ghostly shapes. I tried to ignore it this time, and focus on keeping the zombies at bay. But I couldn't. I became overwhelmed by the surreal glitch-like movements of the crowd. I felt Aradia shaking me, and I wanted to call out to her; tell her to keep fighting and that I was fine. But no sound came out of my mouth.

My vision flashed and I was finally able to move again. The holographic figures faded back to normal, but I was still in whatever kind of intimidating hallucination this was that my brain had cooked up. It wasn't over yet, and I knew what I was about to do.

I turned to see the gap in the circle. Just before they could reach her, I grabbed Aradia and pushed her away from the zombies.

Now I was scared. This was the part where I woke up, but I wasn't waking up. The zombies closed in around me, grabbing at my skin from all directions. And I could feel it. I tried to shove them away, but more and more kept flooding in. I heard Aradia screaming my name and trying to shoot her way back into the circle to save me. Suddenly an excruciating pain shot through my arm and I screamed. My hand instinctively shot up to cover it, but feeling the wound made me instantly nauseous. I held my hand up to my face and saw that it was dripping with dark yellow blood. Oh my god.

Suddenly there was another flash of light. My pain instantly subsided, but I didn't know where I was. Everything was blurry, but I could make out that I was suspended in the air in some kind of glass box. Nothing was holding me up. Was I floating? I looked through the glass to see the blurred shapes of all my friends and the humans hovering a foot in the air in their own boxes, completely unconscious. We were all in a circle, each facing the center where there was another circle of three empty boxes.

Each person had a white, green, or red light turned on above their head. There was a panel on the inside of the box with a list: "White=Alive, Green=Infected, Red=Deceased". I quickly looked up to check the colors of the lights above my friends' heads, but before I could my vision flashed again.

I was back in the weaponry room. "No," I whispered. I needed to know if everyone was okay. What if that was some sort of vision of the future?

I didn't have enough time to worry, though, because all of a sudden Aradia came into the room. "Did you pick something yet?" she asked.

I snapped out of my panic and shook my head. "I have no clue what to do with any of these things," I admitted.

She sighed. "Just pick something already! We have to get going." She picked up the gun I had put on the table. It was no longer blue, and it looked just like the others on the rack I got it from. "Just use this or something," she said.

I hesitated for a moment before grabbing the pistol and adjusting my backpack on my shoulder. "Sure, let's go." I didn't want to tell her about what just happened. Either I was going crazy, or I had seen something that I didn't want to worry her with by telling her about it.