Chapter Seven

As much as I had wanted to bask in the feeling of finally being outside, we had to keep moving. The palace was surrounded by dense woods on its sides and Meljar guided us deep within them. We couldn't just take a path to the Western Sector or even think about going through any of the villages. A Zero would be a dead giveaway.

Amira had woken soon after entering the forest and Meljar nearly punched her again to get her to shut up. She was angry and afraid of us all. Meljar kept a tight grip on her wrist to keep her from running away and his threats kept her silent at the least.

Now that she wasn't close to me, the ache had returned, although, it wasn't has painful as before. I wondered if it would ever stop or if I would spend the rest of my days painfully yearning for the girl I could touch.

"Here! Finally. Alright, no time for being modest, change your clothes." He reached behind a tree and threw a bag at is. It was shabby and torn and through the few holes in its fabric, I could see cloth nestled inside.

"I will not expose myself like this," Amira huffed.

"You will or I'll change you m'self."

Amira flinched back in horror.

I removed my cloak, hopefully to dispel the tension and dug through the bag. A simple gray tunic and dark pants, that looked more like tights ,were the first items I saw, so I grabbed them, along with s pair of undergarments. Zecharia followed suit, shifting through the bag's contents.

I hoped these would fit. I felt disproportionate. My arms, legs, and stomach, from the meager food we were fed in the palace, were very slender with slight muscle from all the years in the Zone. However, my hips had always been wide and my shoulders were small.

I began to strip myself to change when Amira called out. "Are there not any bras?"

"What's that?" I asked.

Amira looked quizzically at me and then away, blushing deeply. "Put your tunic on, please."

I obliged, covering my breasts with a new scrap of fabric I had taken from the bag. I already had changed my undergarments and pulled on the tights. The tunic was a bit big on me, it reached a few inches past my waist,but didn't look too out of place.

"Is this better?"

Amira hesitantly looked at me. "Yes. Have you no shame?"

"My lady, pardon me, but I've lived eighteen years in a cell, fought others for my life for fourteen of those years, and have watched many of my kind and yours die before my eyes. No, I have no shame. There is nothing trivial about my breasts in this world."

Amira looked shocked. "Well as a Royal, and a lady, I need a bra. That fabric thing will not help anything."

I looked down at myself. The only reason we had these at the palace was to keep our breasts from exposing themselves through ill fitting clothes. I was the only Zero I knew of that had tailored clothes because of my role in public as Royal Zecharia's guard and the defender of the Zone, and so my fabric was really to keep from exposing myself during battle. They were for convenience, not necessity.

Meljar reached into the bag and handed her a scrab of blue fabric. "Well, your highness, you'll have to make do until we reach the Western Sector."