Chaper Three

I felt my jaw go slack. "Excuse me?"

The Purpose nodded his head. "There is some human out there, somewhere, that is immune to the touch of death. You have a Tamer."

My head was spinning. I had a Tamer. If I could find this person, I would be tamed. We would be mated.

I would finally have a family.

I felt a strange prickling in the corners of my eyes. I had a family. Somewhere out there.

"96, are you okay?" Cam asked me.

I couldn't speak. I simply nodded at him and swung my legs over the side of the bed. I felt a strange material move against my skin as I did and looked down. My torso was completely bandaged. All I had on to cover myself was a wrap of fabric we female Zeros used to cover our breasts.

I cringed. Somebody had removed my clothes and had been staring at my naked upper body. I didn't see any Purpose with gloves on so it must have been a medic.

Good. As long as it wasn't those future seeing @#!*% .

"Oh this is wonderful!" Royal Julia cried. "If we find this Tamer, 96 could reproduce and who knows what the child would be like? An immortal?"

I gaped at the woman. She really was stupid.

"Uh, dear," Royal Elric started to explain, "Humans and Zeroes cannot reproduce together, remember? All children that come from their unions are stillborn."

"Oh. That's a shame. It would have been really nice to have a child like that. Imagine it: tickets for the Battle Zone would triple!"

I glared at her. Of course it was only about how they could benefit.

"Besides, Royal Julia, wasn't it decided that 96 would not seek out her Tamer?"

My throat tightened as I turned and looked at the Purpose who spoke. The voice was feminine and the hood of a Purpose's silver cloak cast her face into shadow.

Royal Elric nodded. "Yes, that is right. 96, we can't let you go search for your Tamer. You're far to valuable and important to this Sector. You could be captured and stolen away from us forever. All of the Sectors want you."

But did not I deserve a say in this? "My Royals...please. If I could just-- "

"No, 96. There will be no discussion on this. You are not to seek out your Tamer and you will stay here in the palace where you are safe from the threat of those who wish to covet you. Ah you," Royal Elric pointed to Cam. "Take her back to her cell and find someone that qualifies to guard my son while she rests. She has a match in the Zone tomorrow against some curious Southern Warriors." He chuckled like we were chaps. "You'll no doubt get the best of them, 96."

I glared at him. How dare he! I seethed in anger at the injustice of it. I pulled my shirt over my head, wincing a bit at the soreness radiating throughout my back and slid my cloak over my shoulders. The Purpose parted quickly when we made our way to the door. I could sense their confusion, their hatred. Who was I to defy their leader's reading? My Purpose had foretold nothing of having a Tamer.

Another cold surge of rage washed over me. Maybe because I had been forbidden to find my Tamer.

"96...speak. Please. What's going on with you?"

I remained silent.

"96," Cam groaned. "I know you wanted this. I know you wanted it bad, but maybe it is for the best that--"

"Don't you dare tell me it is for the best," I growled. My rage echoed threateningly off the walls. When I was like this, it was not hard to understand how no one guessed I looked human under my mask. I sounded like a monster. Deep and guttural.