2

A few days have passed since Mickey opened his eyes, and tomorrow is Nick's first birthday. The whole house has been loud with everyone getting everything ready. From the girls demanding to make his cake, Freddy and James trying to get the decorations up, Ethan and Marcus arranging the backyard, and our dads buying him a mountain of gifts.

"Well Nick. It's clear to see how spoiled you're gonna be." He just giggled, and I put him in his playpen. I stretch, and look out his nursery window. I smile watching everyone run around. I laugh even more when James and Freddy fell in the pool. Just as I'm about to grab Nick's baby monitor, my phone goes off. I look at the screen, and feel my heart stop. "This is unexpected. What do you want?"

"We need to talk." I look out at the window, my eyes focusing on Ethan. His smiling face as he and Marcus help the others out the pool.

"No. I'm at a good point in my life. I promised never to speak with you again."

"That's kind of hard to do when I'm the mother of your child." I clenched my fist as I looked at Nick playing happily in his playpen. Katherina can't get to him, ever.

"Last I remember. You're the one that handed him to me, not a second thought, practically begging me to take him. In his birth certificate and hospital forms, I am even labeled as his birth father. He is my son, not yours anymore!" My blood is boiling. But I know that on the other end, she is as calm as can be.

"Carter we both know I get what I want. Now I know you've notice the lack of cameras following you and your family around. I wonder what Ethan would feel having his face on billions of magazines, for the whole world to see. Last I heard, he got freaked out when they learned he was in a small coma."

"Leave him out of this!" I yelled so loud, it caused Nick to start crying. I balanced the phone between my ear and shoulder, so I could pick him up in my arms.

"Is that my son crying? Bring him with you when you come and see me. I'll be expecting you Carter. Today at three, the restaurant on b st. Don't be late." She hung up right after that. I let the phone drop, and hit the floor. I looked to my son, and the tears still forming in his eyes. I can't risk this family being followed again. I can't do that to them. With everything we've been through. Those money hungry sons of bitches could live of this past year alone. Our family life is too much.

"Oh Nicholas. When will you be able to enjoy a drama free life?" I make my way downstairs, and head straight for Ethan. I take his hand, and lead him to the kitchen.

"Carter? What's wrong?" I kiss him, with Nick between the two of us. I pull back and see pink on his confused face.

"Katherina called." I noticed his fist start to bawl up, but he didn't speak. "She wants me to meet her at 3 with Nick. I told her no. But if I don't, she'll have the press following us again." I hate doing this to him. He doesn't need this. None of them do.

"Go." I just looked at him in shock, but he smiled and kissed my lips. "I know even if I tell you know, you will still go. Just to protect all of us. I trust you Carter. Go. But please don't let her touch our son." God I love him. I kiss his forehead and nod. Then I grab Nick's diaper bag and head for the car. I make sure he's strapped up safely, and get in. I stare at him through the rearview mirror for a while, before I pull out of the long driveway and head out.
_____________________________________

"Hi. Did a Katherina Harrison already arrive?" I asked the host, who then showed me to her table. I took a seat in front of the woman who helped start all the drama and bullshit in my life. "What do you want?"

"No 'how are you?' Or 'how have you been?' I have to say Carter. You may have gotten more attractive, but that attitude of yours. Such a turn off." I clenched my fist under the table. But she must have noticed that my patients was running low with her. "Fine, I'll get to the point. I need Nicholas back."

"No. And if that's all, we're done here." I got ready to stand, but she put her hand on my arm that wasn't under the table. The feel of her hand on me brought back memories, and I wanted to take the butter knife and pray it cuts my hand off.

"Nicholas is my son. My family was beyond angry when they learned I gave him up without a second thought. They know his birthday is tomorrow, and they want to have him with them." I ripped my hand from her grasp, and started scratching away at it.

"That sucks for you now doesn't it. But it's no longer my problem Katherina. You signed legal documents stating you want nothing to do with Nick. You gave up all rights to call him yours. And if you and your family try anything I have no problem taking this up with the courts." I grabbed Nick's car seat, and noticed Katherina looking at him. He must have recognized her too, because he started to whimper. But not from missing her. He looked scared.

"You made me do this Carter." She reached into her purse, and pulled out an envelope. "This is a copy, just to start off with. Inside this envelope is the name of Nicholas' real father. He's a family man, and I know he would fight to get him back. If my parents don't see him tomorrow, even if it's at your house. I will go to Nicholas' real father directly, and tell him. You're not gonna win this Carter." She is lucky I can't hit a woman. But Jenny, Izzy and Val? They are gonna have her head on a silver fucking platter once they find out.