Chapter 4 -- Rond de jambe

Start from the beginning

When Travis said nothing, Teddy patted him on the shoulder proceeded to walk away before turning around again. "Maybe you should, hm, I don't know...Maybe patch some things up with her?"

"Right." Travis scrunched his nose up as if thinking then shook his head, his longs spikes not moving an inch despite the constant movement. He regarded me for a second and then said while looking at me in the eyes "Like I was the one who kick someone to the curb just when you needed her the most" Echoed through the room.

I didn't have to analyze around to tell that he was feeling. It was in his voice. That slight sound of mockery played in his words like a child on monkey bars. I didn't know whether to feel betrayed or grateful.

"Don't get me wrong, She had been on my list of people to see, but not now. Not so soon."
I looked back at him but he seemed unfazed by the whole situation that was going to play out in a matter of seconds. He kept a straight face and met my gaze when I turned to him.

Dinners with everybody was awkward with they give off those secret signals at each other most filled with furtive looks and heated stares.

Conversation from that point on covered everything. I found it amusing when I still saw flickers of the boy I had known as he spoke of his adventures as a man. My mind drifted back over our adventures and I was aware that certain places were becoming very warm and the tension was drifting away

.

All of us were chatting amicably when Elaine suddenly felt nauseous. She managed to make it outside before she threw up. Teddy raced over to see if she was all right.

"Laine, are you Ok?" he asked concerned.

"I'm fine Ted. Just a little sick. I think I'm coming down with a cold. Nothing to worry about." She said after they both went back on the table upon cleaning up. Teddy wrapped an arm around her and gave a squeeze escorting her back.

Liz, being the doctor-to-be on our Barkada, finished up and telling Elaine to look after herself more now that she's pregnant.

Elaine laughed and told us she would be making sure she did give it to us just for being so cheeky with her.

Throughout the exchange Travis had pointedly ignored my existence. He pretended that I wasn't there. I felt this was some small vindication.

I was quietly fuming as Travis continued to chat to the others or fiddle with his beer. I realized that he had been avoiding me.

It was in his eyes; there was a fundamental honesty, almost a transparency...what you see is what you get...this is all I have to give you "I didn't know you were gonna be here, Trav."

I hadn't been ready yet either. And I was sure I looked like shit. Instinctively I brought a hand to my hair and smoothed them out. The action brought a smile to Travis' face.

"Monique" I felt a chill go down my spine at his voice. My name rolled of his tongue like ice cream on a hot surface. "It's been a while. You look..." his eyes roamed my body, searching for the word. "Good," he said, finally finishing.

"You've changed a bit" I said. When I looked, he was standing a few feet away, and I thought I saw something like pain cross his face, but then he chuckled and I knew I was wrong.

"Oh.. you don't know what you're talking about" He said with a smirk

'Don't. Say. A word.' I told myself.

And I didn't. I simply stood there, nodded once, then looked at the ground. Inside I was screaming from the awkwardness of the whole situation. This was not what I planned. I wasn't ready to see him yet. He was always so dam—