Chapter Five

"Maya, you have to be more careful," Riley whisper yelled as they changed out of their bathing suits and into pajamas. "When you and Lucas were chasing each other around after we got out of the pool, Farkle looked like he was going to explode. And he wasn't too happy when you sat on Lucas's shoulders and you started whispering stuff to him, either."

"It's not my fault Lucas likes me! He's the one who keeps flirting with me, you should be talking to him," Maya reminded her best friend as she slipped the pajama shorts on over her legs.

"Trust me, I think Farkle has that taken care of," Riley mumbled, finishing up with combing her still somewhat wet hair.

"How great. Lucas and I haven't even done anything in front of him and he's already turning into a crazy overprotective older sibling," Maya muttered.

"You haven't done anything in front of him? You've done things with him?" Riley asked, quite shocked. She knew they had a connection, hell, anyone could tell that, but she didn't think either of them had actually acted upon it before.

"No, that's not what I meant, you know that's not what I meant," Maya groaned, running her fingers through her hair. "I'm just saying, if we ever, you know, tried to..pursue whatever this is, Farkle would go berserk," she explained herself, sighing as she sat down on the edge of her bed.

"There's something to pursue?!" Riley burst out, covering her mouth after she realized how loud she had said it.

"Oh my god, I'm leaving," Maya groaned, walking out of the room and into the kitchen, seeing Lucas standing in front of the stove with no shirt on. She stepped closer to him to see that he was making some sort of sauce with (what appeared to be) thinly cut strips of chicken and diced tomatoes in it.

"What are you doing, Friar?" Maya asked, propping herself up on the kitchen counter and beginnings to swing her legs back and forth. He snapped his gaze away from the food, glancing over at Maya and smiling, letting his eyes linger on her face for a second before returning his attention to the food.

"Just making some chicken Alfredo," he told her, beginning to stir the sauce so it wouldn't burn in the bottom of the pan. The noodles appeared to already be done, seeing as they were sitting in a pot on a burner that wasn't on, all of the water drained out of the pot.

"Shirtless?" she questioned him, trying not to let her eyes linger on his exposed, and quite toned, chest for too long.

"Is there any other way?" he joked, and Maya couldn't help the smile that spread across her face as he turned the burner that the pan of sauce was sitting on off. She looked at her feet, biting her lip to try to keep the grin off of her face, but it didn't help.

"You have a nice smile," Lucas complimented her, feeling completely out of his element. He wasn't one for compliments, and if he was to compliment a girl, it would probably be along the lines of 'nice ass', so this was a pretty big deal for him. He saw an even bigger smile spread across her face as a blush overtook her cheeks, and he grinned back.

'god, you're so whipped,' his subconscious teased him, and he rolled his eyes, shaking his head lightly to get rid of his inner voice.

"You have a nice smile too," she told him, and he tilted his head downwards the slightest bit, heat rising to his cheeks and making them a light pink color.

"Ahem," someone cleared their throat, and they both snapped their heads up to see Farkle standing in the entrance of the kitchen with an eyebrow raised.