16- Party Crasher

Luk ^

I knew it was going to be a mistake. I should have listened to my gut.

Hol and I had walked into the house with the party, strobe lights blinding and music blaring. I regretted letting my compliance and her puppy-eyed begging get me dragged into this place.

This was not my scene. Not by a long shot. I preferred get togethers with good friends, like my guys, and a lot less...whatever this was.

First of all, the music was obnoxious. Not only were the beats breaking my eardrums because they were that loud, but the lyrics were just obscene. Who would like to listen to such degrading things?

Then there was the smell. Like really, what died?

And all of the trash? It's like a landfill was boxed in with four walls and a roof. Honestly, how could people make someone's home this messy? It was a disgrace to the entirety of the human race.

Don't even get me started on all of the people. You know how buildings have to have the whole "Max Occupancy" sign on the wall? Yeah, this far surpassed the legal number, I'm sure. Hardly anyone was decently dressed, and those that were were either working on getting rid of said decency, or making up for it in their provocative moves. It was disgusting, to say the least.

I should have known that a party like this also wouldn't follow the laws of legality. Someone, somehow, had gotten alcohol. This was an enormous no-no!

There was a staircase against one wall that led up to a second floor full of bedrooms. If you catch my drift, then so did an influx of drunken couples. I gulped pretty loud, turning back towards the door to leave.

"Levs?" Holland questioned, and she sounded so hurt. I didn't need to deal with this. I needed to get out of here. There was a reason I stayed away, the very same reason I needed—for my own well being—to leave this instant. But I made my second mistake. I looked into Holland's eyes, eyes that begged me to give this party a second chance from my first impression. And against all sense that is common, I nodded meekly. She smiled, looking genuinely happy for some reason, and pulled me through the thick crowd of people towards the back door.

She grabbed two drinks when we passed by a cooler; mine was a Coke. I didn't get a good look at what she had in her hands, but I had a feeling it wasn't as innocent. I was at least grateful she respected me enough to give me something non-alcoholic. I would definitely have left if she had.

So she pulled me out into the backyard, the sky just beginning to darken as the sun took its last few moments before saying goodbye. Holland pulled me past the pool and the smaller group of people outside to a row of bushes. She knew this too well, I could tell she had been to this house before.

"Where are we going?" I asked, confused as to why we were walking so much. Suddenly, she stopped and pulled me towards the ground. I let out an umf as I forcefully sat down in the grass.

"Silly Billy, this is so it's quieter," she informed me and I blinked. Oh. It was much quieter out here, and seeing as we were hiding behind the row of bushes, no one else was near. I could still hear the beats from the music where we were sitting, but it was much less harsh and imposing. "This was stupid," she muttered, looking down into her lap.

"Hey, don't feel bad," I told her. "It's not your fault I'm not used to this...madness."

That ended up making her laugh, so I felt a little better and laughed along with her. "Yeah, normally I'm right in there with all of the madness, probably causing most of it," she had a distant look, like she was remembering (or trying to remember) the things she's done previous.

"Then why aren't you in there?" I asked, immediately regretting it when she gave me a Really? look. Oh right, she was here with me. It was odd to think about that though, so I stopped.

But instead of actually calling me out, she just hummed, leaning back on her hands. "Even though this wasn't the smartest idea I've ever had," she told me, "we can still enjoy this, right?"

I laughed quietly. "As long as we stay out here and people keep away, yeah."

So we stayed out there for a while, talking about some trivial things. It was good while it lasted, too bad I didn't let it last.

When Hol said she was going to get something else to drink, I volunteered to go with her. It would be weird to just sit alone, and my idiotic mind had ruled that that was more of a concern than going back into the hellish place.

I waited by the doorway on the porch while Holland was just going to step inside and grab something, when he decided to make an entrance.

"Luk," I whispered harshly, immediately looking to find somewhere else to go. Luk was the number one guy on Eli's basketball team, the grade A idiotic jerk. He, for some reason, loathed Eli—so he subsequently loathed all other nine of us that hang out. Including me. I didn't know what any of us had ever done to tick him off, but he wouldn't let it go.

"Oi," he said slapping his friend on the shoulder to motion walking towards me. "How'd you get in here? This doesn't really seem like your type of crowd, little geek boy."

"Just because I'm actually smart whereas you're not does not, in fact, make me a geek," I said, voice remaining confident, eyes focused on anything but him.

Luk nearly growled as he stalked right up to me and pushed me back some. This was so not a good position to be in. He beat me strength-wise by way too much for my liking. And no one here would stand up for me. No one here really knew me. He was right about one thing: this was not my crowd.

"What's wrong?" he taunted, taking a step closer. "Don't have all of your little boyfriends to help you now? I know gay marriage is legal, but polygamy still isn't, sweetheart. How are you poor things going to work that out?" His whole tone was condescending and dripping with arrogant sarcasm. Despite myself, I couldn't speak this time to defend me. Any of us. Holland stepped up next to me at this point, threatening Luk and cursing him out with all of the stronger synonyms for jerk. But I couldn't take it. I zoned out as my eyesight glassed over. I vaguely heard him start yelling back at her, names that should not be used to describe her. Names that shouldn't be used to describe anyone.

So much yelling. So much negativity. So much broken. I couldn't deal with it anymore. I didn't need to stand here and deal.

"I'm sorry Hol," I whispered, demanding the glisten in my eyes to not pool into anything more. I had wanted to stay for her, but this was too much. "I can't do this."

I ran out of the house through the sea of moving people as fast as I could get through, not looking back.

A/N: WHY AM I LIKE THIS