Full of Adjectives

He escorted me back to my room, nodding to the matron on duty. She just nodded back and made a note on the visitor’s log. Every time we had someone come visit us, they had to sign in at the desk. Technically we weren’t allowed to have visitors of the opposite sex and if we did we were asked to remain in the lounge. Which just happened to be in sight of the front desk. Supervision was a staple around here.

But for some reason the Matron didn’t require Michael to sign in…that was weird. I unlocked my door and ushered him in. I had looks from some of the girls in the adjacent rooms, all quickly retreating and I could just imagine the texts being sent out.

“How did you do that?” I asked him, putting my bag down on the spare desk.

“Do what?”

“Not have to sign in?”

“I know the Matron.”

“But you’re not even supposed to be up here.”

He frowned. “Maybe she was just being nice.”

“Michael, there are rules remember? ‘No boys upstairs’ just happens to be one of those rules.”

He shrugged. “I don’t know Georgiana.”

“Do you think they know about the body yet?” He nodded. “Do you think they know he was after me?” He nodded again. “Do you know who he was?”

“I have a theory.”

“Care to share?”

“Did you recognize him?”

I shook my head. “No idea. He didn’t seem to know who I was either. He said they didn’t tell him I would fight as much. But who are they?”

“The Underworlders. They’ve taken interest in you.”

“How do you know?”

“I have my ear to the ground. Lots of contacts.”

“But you’re just a fledgling. How can you have contacts?”

He grappled for an answer. “It’s not that hard, Georgiana. My parents know lots of people. Those people just happened to be connected to other people and so on.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. I couldn’t tell if he was lying or not. Just like with Luke, his face didn’t give anything away unless he wanted it to. Finally I nodded. “If you say so.”

He sighed, his face finally telling me he was exhausted. “Georgiana, I can’t tell you more than that. You’re just going to have to trust me.”

“Trust you? How am I supposed to do that? You run hot and cold, Michael. I can’t figure you out and it usually doesn’t take me this long.” My phone buzzed. “Shit!”

I picked it up and flipped it open. Aidan.

“Damn,” I muttered.

“Who is it?”

“It’s Aidan.” Michael stifled a laugh. “Shut up while I answer this. Hello?” I said into the speaker after hitting the answer button.

“What happened? My phone just blew up with texts about how you entered your room with tangled hair, dried blood on your neck, and Michael Thor escorting you in.”

I closed my eyes and counted to ten. “I was attacked on my way back to the dorm after my test.”

What? Where was Luke? Isn’t he supposed to be there to protect you?”

“I can take care of myself thank you very much,” I said bristling.

“That’s not what I was implying and you know it.”