Beatings

Beatings. 

I looked out the taxi cab window as we left the hospital. Finally, Dominic and I were away from that wretched place. There would be no more bad news that I would have to deal with. There would be no more suffering; just me and Dominic. Well, whenever we’re together that is. Since we’re forced to go to separate group homes, we’ll only see each other when we go to school. At first, I didn’t remember what school was, until Dominic told me its a place where you learn stuff. He said, that kids in Blackwell (the town we’re from) never went to school. At one point we went  Everybody was rebellious to the point where we threw out the law completely. Basically, we could do whatever we wanted to, when we wanted to. 

Hearing the story about Blackwell made me laugh uncontrollably. It was just too funny to hear that the authorities can’t even handle one little town. I mean, we’re just people, why can’t the numerous amount of police handle regular people on the street? Dominic told me, people from Blackwell were too intense; almost nothing will stop them. 

When we arrived at the first group home, I immediately noticed this was going to be a bad place. The house was made of bricks that looked like they needed a good cleaning,  and a stone sign with the name of the group home written on it (which also looked like it needed a good washing). The grass on the outside of the house was green and lively but the building made everything seem dreary.

What also made me afraid was the size of the kids staying here. Just looking from the car window, I could see so many burly looking boys playing some type of game. Imagine how big they are when you get closer to them. I started to compare their thick bodies to Dominic’s thin body. Seeing them made me afraid for him. Would he even survive overnight? I mean, he’s a stick, those boys will break him in half! 

“Here’s your stop boy.” The cab driver said grumpily, looking back at the two of us. 

Dominic frowned and then looked at me. “See you at school Natalie...” Dominic said, taking off his seatbelt to hug me tightly. In my ear he whispered “try to make some friends okay.” I nodded slightly in response. Eventually, Dominic pulled away from the hug and looked at me sadly. Sighing deeply, he exited the car and looked back at the cab; watching it drive away. 

For some reason I couldn’t get over the sadness that I saw in his eyes. 

.      .      .

Eventually, the cab pulled up to the group home I was staying at. It looked nicer than the boys group home, I could immediately tell that. The only thing that made me scared was the size of the girls staying here. A group of girls were standing outside of the home, in a small circle. Looking at them I noticed that they all were bigger than I was. One of them had long blonde hair, jade green eyes and was extremely tall. Gulping, I grabbed my whiteboard (my doctor had given it to me) and exited the car; immediately grasping all the girls attention. They looked at me with disgust and anger; which slightly frightened me. Were they going to beat me up? 

“Look it’s a new girl,” The tall blonde said walking over to me. The blonde girl looked me up and down, her jade green eyes now resting at my whiteboard. Raising an eyebrow, the girl snatched the board from my hands and examined it. “Why do you need to carry this?” She asked me, and I ignored the statement, trying to grab my board from her. The girl held her nose and with an altered voice she said, “Gross you smell bad.” She dropped my whiteboard on the ground and covered her nose with both her hands. I scowled at her for a second and picked up the board.