Chapter 3: Truth

Truth. 

I couldn’t stop my heart from beating so fast. It was pounding so hard to the point where I could hear it in my chest. I was in complete shock that Dominic just asked that question. Of all things, why did he have to ask me what happened to my voice? Why couldn’t he ignore it and move on? Then again, what kind of best friend would he be if he didn’t ask what was wrong with me? I guess not a good one. Even though it was unintentional, Dominic had struck the biggest nerve he could possibly hit right now. I held my hand over my mouth and shook my head; not wanting him to know about my nonexistent voice. Dominic however didn’t like that. He stared at me with those big brown eyes, mentally bugging me to tell him. 

I stood up from my chair and rubbed my head with my left hand. What was I going to tell him? How was I going to tell him? What was I going to do about this? Taking a deep breath through my nose, I walked back over to him and bit my lip. He was still staring at me intently, which was driving me crazy. I realized I would have to tell him the truth now, or he’d bug me about this forever. I took both of my hands and pointed to myself, shook my head from side to side, and then moved my mouth as if I was talking. This was telling him that I can’t talk. 

“You can’t talk...?” Dominic said, his voice cracking. I could see his eyes tearing up slightly. I hated to see Dominic cry, it made him look so vulnerable, almost as if he wasn’t himself anymore. Slowly, I nodded biting the inside of my cheek, trying to keep myself from crying as well. “I promised I wouldn’t let anything happen to you...” He said sadly, making me frown. I didn’t want to make him feel bad, I didn’t want to make him cry. It couldn’t be his fault that I lost my voice; I probably did this all on my own. Not wanting to make Dominic any sadder by asking questions, I touched his arm and shook my head. I wanted to comfort him, and try to make him feel better about this whole thing. Dominic was my best friend, I wouldn’t let him be sad. He looked up at me with his now light brown eyes. Smiling at him slightly, I pointed to both of us and gave a thumbs up, which was saying, we’re okay. 

.      .      .

Dominic had taken me down to the cafeteria when he was allowed to leave his room. He bought me two burgers, a large container of fries and a chocolate milkshake, then sat me down at a table. I smiled at him and gestured a thank you then began sloppily eating my food. At this point, Dominic knew that I lost my memory from the accident (I had told him not too long ago) and he began telling me several things about me. Example, my favorite food in the world is burgers with an unusual amount of ketchup and mustard.

“You always loved to eat Burger King,” Dominic told me as I bit hungrily into my burger. “You would eat it as if it was your last meal and it always made me laugh,” He said chuckling, then reaching over to a napkin and wiping my face free of condiments. “I always have to do this too.” He added laughing. 

I playfully glared at him and then broke out smiling. I found myself very amusing without even trying. The whole eating burgers like a maniac and getting food all over myself just greatly amused me. I didn’t even know why. Taking another bite from my burger, I began to notice that Dominic hadn’t bought anything for himself. He only bought things for me. Looking at him for a minute, I handed him my burger and gestured for him to take a bite. 

“Oh no Natalie, I’m fine. I don’t eat that much.” He told me, which of course I didn’t accept. I kept gesturing for him to take a bite until he finally caved in. Dominic took the burger from me and took a bite of it, getting ketchup and mustard all over his cheeks. I laughed at him (silently of course) and pointed to all the condiments on his face. He wasn’t the only one that ate like a pig. “Oh hush.” He said playfully, now wiping his face. 

.      .      .

So after having a fun, light hearted day Dominic and I parted to our bedrooms and went to sleep.