An Elfs Perspective Part 4

"Forgive me for asking, my lord, but what did you just say?" I finally asked.

"We are to prepare for battle. The dwarves have reclaimed their homeland. For all we know that Oakenshield is already mad, like his grandfather," Thranduil said as he was being fitted into his armor.

"But why must we get involved?"

"We must interfere for the sake of the heirlooms of our people, and for the Balorat Su." Thranduil looked down and took a breath. "I will not see what he has in store for her." I looked away, and remembered what he meant by this. My mother was there the day that the feud between dwarves and elves began. She had told me that while on a trip to Erebor, Thranduil wished for the white gems of Lasalen, until Thror wanted the queen in exchange, as if her being the Balorat Su meant that she was a priceless jewel rather than a person. And thus when the deal was naturally refused, a small set of battles were held, which the elves triumphed. I understood the reason why Thranduil had to get involved. Larissa had the chance to escape from the mountain and be a possession, but Dawn was there to stay. There was no question that the Dragon Sickness would be lingering and it would only be a matter of time before he would see her as a possession too.

But part of me knew that Thranduil still wanted Dawn, but as Larissa. I looked at the vile Dawn had given to me.

Dawn...what is going on in your world?

Then, a thought struck me.

"My lord, if we are to prepare for battle, may I have a request?" Thranduil looked up to me, ready to listen.

"The people of Laketown are still struggling, and it will take some time for them to rebuild what they have lost. I have a feeling they will be heading towards Dale, and then Erebor for shelter. Perhaps if we were to give them aid, they might join our side." Thraunduil had an expressionless face, but then responded.

"Very well."

That was two days ago. Now thanks to us, the survivors were now thriving with the food, water, and medical supplies we had provided. The only downside was that Bard, their new leader, was skeptical on the idea of war. That's not to say that I wasn't as well.

"You would go to war over a handful gems?" The man asked Thranduil as I made the command for the soldiers to set up position.

"The heirlooms of my people are not lightly forsaken."

"We are allies in this. My people also have a claim upon the riches in that mountain. Let me speak with Thorin."

"You would try to reason with a dwarf?"

"To avoid war, yes." Thranduil faced away for a moment, yet Bard didn't move.

"Very well."

When Bard returned from the Mountain a short time later, he gave the answer we had expected. Of course the dwarf would not honor his word, but this meant that Bard and his villagers were now officially on our side. Unfortunately, the villagers who had any warfare experience were too old to fight anymore, so naturally my troops had to give a crash course on the subject. As I was walking to find more citizens, I found one man trying his best to hide in one of the alleys. I turned him around to show that he was caught. Although I hate to be rude, he was the ugliest man I had ever laid eyes upon. But the second he looked upon me, he went from angered to starstruck.

"Who might you be?" he sneered.

"I'm the captain of the guard." The man gave a dimwhitted look, and then gave a chuckle.

"A little flower like you?" he asked. "You must be joking." Before he could say anything else, I took his arm and twisted it to his back and pinned him against the floor.