Chapter 16

Dawn slowly woke up and it took her a little while to realise that she was unable to move. Something white and sticky was tightly wrapped all around her, making it impossible for her to even grab a dagger to free herself. She swallowed nervously and focused to keep a steady breathing. Now wasn't the time to have a panic attack.

She stopped struggling for a few seconds and closed her eyes to improve her focus and calm herself down. She could feel her heart beating so hard in her chest that she feared it might explode.

Around her, she could faintly hear strange noises and then the muffled cry of Bombur. She opened her eyes and saw the black shapes of the giant spiders that had attacked them and guessed that the rest of the company had been captured as well.

She could feel bile rising in her throat and sweat forming on her brow. She couldn't stand it, it was too much for her and as she was on the verge of passing out again, a loud screech suddenly made her heart skip a beat.

She gasped when another, smaller shape, stood above her and suddenly, she fell in the air. The webs that had been created over the time by the spiders were fortunately strong enough to cushion her fall and she didn't land too brutally on the ground where her bonds broke open.

Before she realized any more, another figure came on top of her, and began to unwrap her from her spider web bonds. As her eyes got into focus, she was full of relief to see who it was. It was Fili.

Though this was definitely not the time, Dawn quickly wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him, so happy that he was alive. But then she remembered what pain she caused him, and that a kiss was no way of an apology. When she separated from him she slowly stood up. It might have been from the spider venom, but she felt as though her legs had no bones. But it must have been just her, because as everyone got up from their sticky white jail cells, they stood quickly, and other than fright, showed no weakness.

Already spiders had begun to appear once more, only now the company was prepared for what they were facing. While fighting one of the spiders, Thorin ordered Kili to help Dawn, which he did. Kili grabbed her arm and began to lead her away from the scene of spiders. For Dawn, the more she ran, the more her legs felt strong.. But just then, several spiders appeared. Surrounding them like a pack of wolves. As Kili tried to fight one, he soon found himself being dragged by the spider by his leg.

"Help!!!" Kili shouted to Dawn, which resulted in a faint echo from Fili to his brother. "Kili!" Dawn couldn't do anything, for right above her was another spider, and then, a sharp pain. But it wasn't from the spiders stinger, but its leg.

But the spiders intention was not to injure Dawn. She was simply in the way of his attack. In fact, it was charging for something else. As Dawn looked at the spiders direction, she saw two figures racing through the vines, one shooting arrows, while the other was furiously stabbing at spiders. They were elves. But they weren't like the elves she had encountered in Rivendell. They seemed more, in a word, savage.

One had long straight auburn hair in what was obviously honorable warrior braids. She wore a camouflage uniform that had the appearance of large green leaves made into clothing. Her eyes were a dark brown, and had a bit of a tanner pale skin tone.

The other had longer dirty blonde hair, which surprisingly had a light wavy curl at the ends. Like the other elf, she wore a leaf colored camouflage uniform, but unlike the other elf, she did not have any braids in her hair. It was flowing like a long river. She had the most pale skin tone Dawn had ever seen in her life. Only a slightly darker shade than Azog the pale orc. Her doll-like eyes were a grey blue that matched the color of the Mirkwood trees, and had a small beauty mark above her lip, next to her cupid's arrow. She also seemed younger.