Chapter 36 - Waiting for You

The greatest marriages are built on teamwork, a mutual respect, a healthy dose of admiration, and a never-ending portion of love and grace. -Fawn Weaver

Chapter 36 - Waiting for You

Edward's POV:

Dreaming the phone rings wakes me from sleep, and I focus on the clock 1:17. The phone dings to announce a text just as is it begins to ring again. I guess it wasn't a dream.

"Yeah," I know I sound groggy and cranky, but I couldn't care less. That's what Helen gets for waking me up on my wedding day.

"Tell Addy I'm going to bed. Hey, have her call me and I'll let her back in. She left her key card and phone." I can hear the sounds of movement over the connection. "Why is she with you anyway? Isn't it bad luck to see the bride before the wedding?"

"What are you talking about?" I'm still groggy and I'm not totally understanding what my sister is saying.

"I just got back to the room. Addy isn't here, I just thought that maybe she's with you. It's not like you two can be separated for very long anyway."

"What do you mean she's not there? I dropped her off almost three hours ago. Where is she?" I bolt out of bed, slipping on my sweats and hoodie, gathering my wallet, keys, and key card.

"Calm down. Let me look around, she might have gotten locked out and went to see her parents. I'll call you back in just a minute."

As soon as she hung up, I dial Joel. If she were panicking right now, he would be her source of comfort...but no. She's not with him, and he's with Elliot, so who? I can feel the racing of my heart and a frightening feeling rushes over me. I call Mason...not with him. Helen calls me back; Addyson is not with her parents or mine...dammit...she's gone.

I reach for the door, trying to form a plan in my head on where to begin looking, and I pause long enough to send up a prayer. The cabin door closes behind me, and I rush to adjust the seatbelt of my car, and then I see it. The curled up blanket tucked tight in an Adirondack chair. My breath races out of my body and a sense of relief floods me. She's safe.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask trying to sound calm, but I feel I'm failing.

I watch her rub the sleep out of her eyes before she looks at me. "I needed some air, but I got locked out, and I couldn't find anyone to help me. I think everyone went into town or something. No one's around."

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"I tried, but you didn't answer." She nestles her body into mine, and I can feel my muscles relax knowing she's here with me...safe.

Quickly I texted Helen that Addyson was with me, before finally confronting my fears. "I thought you left." Her quirked up eyebrow almost made me chuckle, but the earlier feelings are still raw. "I know you're nervous about getting married. I can feel it in you. I just thought you're having second thoughts and left."

Her lips are not demanding; they're soothing. "I'm not having second thoughts about marrying you. That's the only thing that's made this whole thing worth while." Now I'm confused. She places her finger between my brows and smoothes out the tense skin. "I'm just nervous about the wedding. I want to be nice, and I want people to enjoy it. That's why I'm nervous. Did we make the right decisions? Will it be pretty? Will the photographer be here on time? Will..."

I capture her lips before she could continue on with her thoughts. "It will be perfect. Even if everything goes completely crazy, and my dad begins to dance on the tables; it will be perfect."