Chapter 14 - Meeting the Parents

She's got the eyes of innocence... the face of an angel... A personality of a dreamer and a smile that hides more pain than you can ever imagine. - Anonymous

Chapter 14 - Meeting the Parents

Addy's POV:

The Breda House still smells the same, like spicy warm goodness. "Mom, that smells great," Edward tells her as he opens the lid to a pan on the stove. "Is this dinner?"

"Yes, and even without knowing 'til the last minute you would be here, I made enough." The lines at the corners of Linda's eyes crease as she talks to her son. "Addy, I take it you will be staying for dinner, too?"

"Yes, Mom. She's staying."

"Good. I'm glad to see you two are finally getting along after all this time." She turns to me. "Is he behaving himself or is this just a show to make is his mom happy?"

"He's been behaving himself." He catches my eye as I talk. "In fact, he's been very nice." I feel my cheeks getting warm.

"It looks like you have enough food to feed an army." Edward tells his mom as she continues to pull food out of the refrigerator.

"Not an army, but I'm expecting Liv any minute, and of course Emily."

"My mom?"

"Yeah, she and Cooper are coming over. Your grandparents have your brothers for the weekend, so it'll be just the two of them this time."

I don't ask if I can help. I just take my place beside Linda just like I did when I was younger. She hands me a knife and a few vegetables. "It's nice to have someone who enjoys cooking to help me for a change."

"Helen likes to cook."

"I was referring to Garrett. He's hiding in the garage." Her expression is nothing less than 'good riddance', and her laughter is infectious.

Edward searches my face for a reaction as he tells me he's going to go say hi to his dad. "So, have you met her?" Linda asks as soon as he's out of earshot.

"Liv? No, I've seen her, but I haven't met her."

"No, Edward's female friend? He asked if he could bring someone home to meet us. He was so excited I half expected her to be with him today." She rambles about how Edward has never brought anyone home to meet the family, even though he was dating someone around Christmas, she didn't get to meet her. "You know I don't think he's ever had a serious girlfriend before her. Maybe they're still together, and it's getting more serious?"

I remain quiet as I begin to fill the salad bowl, not sure exactly what I am supposed to say. Unfortunately, I'm not comforted by this conversation, because it does little to settle my worries I have about Edward.

"Look who I found in the driveway." Edward announces as he walks in with the woman he was with last night, Liv. She's just as beautiful in casual clothes as she was in her formal dress, except this time she looks completely natural. Her dark hair is down and is shoulder length that shapes her face. Not one strand on her head is out of place, and her face is flawless. What little makeup she has on is perfect. She's tall and thin and graceful, and everything about her screams 'I'm a model'.

She extends her hand to me, but mine is still messy with food prep. "I'm Liv, you must be Addyson." She takes her hand away understanding why I can't shake. "Edward has told me so much about you. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you last night."

"Addy, please. Only Edward ever calls me Addyson. It's nice to meet you. Let me clean my hands. Do you want anything to drink?"

"Addy, it's just like you, playing host, but Liv knows her way around my kitchen just fine." Linda turns her head toward Liv, "Help yourself dear. I haven't opened wine, yet. If you don't mind could you grab a bottle from in there?" She points to her makeshift wine closet that my dad and Garrett built for her.