Chapter 28 - Fitting In

At the end of the day, a loving family should find everything forgivable. -Mark V. Olsen

Chapter 28 - Fitting In

Edward's POV:

I felt Addyson tense beside me. Instead of leaving the vehicle, I take a page out of Joel's playbook. I give her a moment to catch her breath, and then I reassure her before she is cast into a new situation. She nods her understanding.

With my hand touching her soft cheek, I tell her, "You're beautiful. My grandparents are going to love you." She smiles and I push through. "You have my heart, and when you need it you have my hand.

"My family is no more crazy than yours; they're just Italian. There is no volume control, and they will probably talk with their hands." I joke, and she laughs in a way I can tell she's relaxing.

With a quick kiss on the lips, she whispers, "Thank you."

My grandfather meets us at the door with a large manly hug that ends with a hefty pat on the back. He's not much younger the Jim, but he's about four inches shorter. "Pops, I'd like for you to meet Addyson Mills, my fiancé. Cara, this is my grandfather, we call him Pops."

She holds her hand out for him. "No darling, here we hug." She is swooped into his arms, and he's a bit more gentle with her than he was with me. "It's nice to meet you," she says as her chin is on his shoulder.

Before she had completely pulled away, my grandmother made an appearance in the doorway. "Let them get in here out of the cold, dear. We can't have the lovebirds sick while they're on vacation." It's not cold, but she doesn't care. She moves Pops out of the way and coos toward Addyson. "Oohhh, aren't you just a sight. Edward didn't exaggerate at all when he described you. You're just as pretty as he said you were."

Addyson was pulled into a hug with Nonna, and the whole time her humorous eyes were on me.

"I'm Nonna. It's Italian for grandma," she shakes of a fake shiver at the word. "Come on dear, I want to show you off." My grandmother grabs her hand and takes her into the great room where some of my family has gathered. Thanksgiving isn't until tomorrow, but family has been trickling in since yesterday. Nonna expects her biggest crowd today, because some will be leaving for other family obligations tomorrow.

Uncles and cousins bombard me as soon I walk through the room, and I find myself quickly separated from Addyson. I watch her with Nonna, as she is taken from relative to relative being introduced as my fiancé. Pops is not far behind them, keeping up with the introductions.

"Hey," my cousin Jeremy nudges me out of my thoughts. "The younger crowd are going get a game together and then maybe hit a few clubs tonight. You in?"

"Sounds good. I'll have to see." Even though hitting some of my old stomping grounds with my cousins sounds good, it's not exactly what I think Addyson will be comfortable with.

I turn back to watch her just to hear Jeremy giving me a knowing snicker. As she leaves the room with Nonna, Liv walks over to say hi. "So, you're still together?"

All humor leaves my body as I glare at her. "I don't want a repeat of your performance of my parent's house. Leave her alone."

"I only want what's best for you." Liv gives me a tight smile that makes me uncomfortable. She turns her attention to Jeremy asking about his girlfriend. Her whole demeanor changes to a softer sweeter Liv as she talks.

Addy's POV:

Nonna has me by the hand as she makes the rounds with the family. When I look back toward Edward, she says, "He hasn't been here for a couple of years. He has some catching up to do, and I don't want you lost in the mix."