Chapter 32 - Missing You

Before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.― Harper Lee

Chapter 32 - Missing You

Addy's POV:

Joel patiently sits in the passenger seat, allowing me to drive for the first time on the interstate to my parents' house. Every once in a while I see him hit the imaginary break, when he thinks I'm gaining on someone too fast, but he doesn't say a word. There are no beads of sweat on his forehead or increased respiration. So far, so good.

I have six weeks until my wedding and absolutely no dress for the bride. All of the contenders have been booted off the island when Joel saw them. He kept saying, "It's too bad you can't take bits and pieces of your favorite dresses and make the perfect one." Well, I could if I had six months before the wedding. I barely have time to get one altered for me, at this stage.

"Am I going to be ok to drive to Memphis? Or are you going to do it?" I ask.

"How do you feel? You're doing fine. If you feel confident, then you should drive. Memphis isn't scary, it's just another town."

Aunt Rita's car is in the driveway when I pull in. "Rita's going with us?" Joel asks.

"I guess so."

Mom and Linda are sitting in the living room with Aunt Rita and Nana, none of which look in a hurry to leave. Deep breath...again. I haven't been a nervous bride thus far, but not having a dress is causing me more stress than I can afford while school is in session.

"What's going on?" I ask, hoping that I don't sound too bitchy.

My mom scoots over to give me a place to sit. "We have time. It'll take about two hours to drive to Memphis, and our appointment isn't until 1:00. Plenty of time." My mom has a very soothing voice, and it's helping me calm down a little.

"Hi, Joel? How was the drive?"

"Good, Ms. Emily. She did a good job. I only saw my life flash before my eyes twice." He smiles while I make a face at him.

Joel helps my aunt get a couple of large boxes out of her car. "Just put it in the guest room. That will be fine."

"Addyson, Emily tells me you have been having trouble finding a dress." I nod at Nana. "We wanted to show you this before you drive up to Memphis." I follow as she walks to the guest room, leaving Joel in the company of my dad and younger brothers. There are six large boxes on the floor and the bed.

Aunt Rita reaches for the largest box, slides off the top, and pulls back the tissue paper. "This was Sydney's dress when she married Jacob." Rita holds up a very traditional satin and lace dress with large puffy sleeves that is very reminiscent of the mid to late 80s, when my biological mom got married.

"It's pretty." I tell her with tears stinging my eyes. The style is nothing like I want for my wedding dress, but it is very pretty. It is full of iridescent sequins and lace with long tapered poofy sleeves and a high neckline. She turns it so I can see the back, with its satin covered buttons down the back and very long train with lace and sequins. It was my mom's wedding dress. I couldn't help but touch it and imagine what she looked like in it.

"Ok? Here's another." Linda says, opening another box as Rita lays the dress back in the box with the help of my mom and Nana. "This was mine. It's early 80s at its finest," she laughs as she pulls out her satin dress with puffy sleeves any pirate would envy. It was full of lace and sequins and beads and ribbons. Scarlet O'Hara would be proud. "Just be glad I didn't bring the hoop skirt that was worn with it." It really was pretty, but I understand why Linda was laughing - nostagia.