chapter 12

We were all playing later that day, when suddenly, some boys rode towards us on bikes.

"Hey morons," one boy said and I saw everyone roll their eyes.

"What do you want Laine?" Danny muttered, glaring at him.

"Look, we need another field for practice, and we want yours," he said simply.

"Let's play for it," Danny said, making me widen my eyes.

"Sure, it'll be easy, if you're playing with girls now," he muttered, gesturing towards me. Kris and Paige were gone today, so I was the only girl.

"What did you just say?" I asked, moving towards him.

"You heard me. Stick to cheerleading or something, alright?" He muttered.

I started running towards him with every intention to punch him in the face, when someone grabbed me.

I turned around and Andrew was holding me tightly. I tried to wrestle out of his grip, but it was no use.

"Let me go!" I yelled, trying to push away from him.

Laine and his team rode their bikes away, and he smirked at me as they left.

Finally, Andrew let me go, but it was too late. They were long gone.

"What do you think you're doing?!" I yelled shoving him to the ground, "I was gonna teach that jerk a lesson."

"I'm just trying to keep you from doing something stupid!" He yelled standing back up quickly. The other guys just witnessed it, not daring to utter a word.

"I'm the stupid one?! Did you hear what that narcissistic sexist egomaniac said?! He deserved it!" I yelled.

"You can't just punch someone in the face because they make some little tiny comment that you don't like!" He yelled back.

"Why do you care?!" I yelled, throwing my mitt on the ground violently.

"Because I!-" he began yelling, then his face dropped and he had a defeated look on his face, "I just do..." he muttered quietly, staring at his shoes.

"Why aren't you fighting back?!" I yelled.

"Wh-what?" He asked quietly.

"Argue with me! Yell at me! Something! Say something, Andrew!" I yelled at him, pushing him to the ground again.

He fell in the dirt and frowned at me slightly, then stood up, turning around and walking to his spot.

I only stood there, feeling defeated, as I watched him stand in his spot.

"Maybe we should call it for the day," Xavier muttered, watching us.

"We're fine! Let's just play!" I said angrily, grabbing my glove off of the ground.

The rest of the day was incredibly tense, and none of the guys really said anything to Andrew or me. I'm assuming they were waiting for us to cool down. I saw them give us sideways worried glanced, but I kept my gaze fixated on the ball.

But at the very end of the day, Connor walked up to me.

"You okay?" He asked me as I absentmindedly began walking towards my house.

"No," I muttered, trying to walk faster.

"Andrew was just being a jerk, that's all," he said.

Suddenly, I found myself incredibly angry. I turned towards Connor and began yelling.

"You don't know him like I do!" I yelled, "don't say that!"

"What the heck? You were just angry at him and now you're mad at me? What'a your problem?" He asked, frowning at me.

"I'm allowed to call him a jerk all I want but you can't!" I yelled, clenching my fists.

"And whys that?" He asked.

"Because-" I began angrily but instantly became weak, "I don't know why," I muttered, turning around and sighing slightly.

I quickly walked into my house, laying on my bed limply as I groaned.

I fell asleep in my baseball clothes later, and when I woke up in the morning, yesterday's events came back to me like a bad dream.

I sighed as I got out of bed to go to the baseball field.