chapter 8

I quickly took off my tank top and shorts and put them in my beach bag. Kris did the same and we waited for the boys.

When they all turned around, they stared at us with mouths slightly open.

Caden grabbed Kris's hand and they walked to get in together. Danny also went to get in the pool with Paige. The other boys were staring at me so I cleared my throat loudly.

They all snapped out of it except for Andrew. He still stared at me.

"Hey lover boy, quit swooning," Xavier laughed, nudging Andrew.

He turned towards Xavier, "shut up, I was not," he mumbled.

"Uh huh," Xavier said sarcastically.

Andrew avoided my glance so I walked up to him. I started laughing and tried to push him in the pool but he pulled me in too.

We came to the surface and started laughing.

We swam over to where the other guys were and stood beside them. We all began wrestling in the water and splashing around. We did that for a while until we got bored. Then, Kris and I decided to go sit on our towels while the boys continued swimming.

"How are you and Caden?" I asked her, smirking.

"We're great! You know the annual carnival?" She asked.

"No I don't. Seeing as though I haven't lived here for a full year I can't say I've heard of it," I said laughing.

She rolled her eyes at me and laughed.

"Well, it's this super cool carnival here in town and its in just a few weeks, and Caden and I are gonna go together. I mean, we're going with the group but we're gonna be alone part of the time," she said smiling.

"Sounds fun," I said smiling.

I found myself staring across the pool at Danny, who was twirling Paige around and I sadly stared.

"Yeah the carnival is always so cool!"

"Mhm," I muttered, not really paying attention to what she was saying.

"I wonder what I should wear. I wanna look good for Caden but I don't want him to know that I wanna look good for him. Ya know?"

"Uh huh," I muttered, still not listening.

"And also, Olivia you and Andrew will get married and have 24 kids," she said, testing to see if I was listening.

"That's nice," I mumbled.

"Ollie!" She said.

"S-sorry," I stuttered, snapping out of my daze.

She glanced to where I was staring and saw Danny. She sighed a small sigh.

"He's just not the one for you, that's all," she told me, "just you wait. One of these days you won't even spare him a glance."

"I guess you're right," I muttered, "but right now, it hurts like hell."

"Yeah, I know. I know," she said softly, putting her hand on my back soothingly.

I glanced across the pool and Andrew was staring at me, but when he saw me look he turned away quickly.

I sighed slightly.

I don't know what felt worse, being rejected by Danny or having to reject Andrew.

To have my heart crushed or to have to crush someone else's.