chapter 6

I gave her a questioning look and she simply frowned again and turned around, playing the game again.

I was confused. What was Andrews deal and why was Kris angry at me? I haven't done anything.

I glanced over at the dugout and Andrew was staring at me, but frowned and looked away when I looked at him.

Is everyone mad at me today?

We continued the game, and afterwards, I saw Andrew begin walking home.

I tried to walk by Kris but she sped up slightly. Finally, I caught up to her.

"Kris! What's your problem?" I asked her.

"Nothing, except the fact that you were totally swooning over Danny right in front of Andrew," she muttered.

"I can't help it if I don't like Andrew, okay? I can't pretend to like him when I don't," I said.

"I didn't say you had to like him! Of course I want you to, but I know you can't force that. I'm just saying, it's not necessary for you to stare at Danny like that in front of him," she said angrily.

I turned my gaze away sadly.

"Sorry," she said quietly, "I know I'm overreacting. But, he's my brother, and I just want him to be happy, ya know?" She sighed, "I just wish you could see how great he is."

"Of course I see how great he is. He's wonderful. Just not for me. He's gonna make someone incredibly happy one day," I told her.

She nodded slightly, and walked towards her house, "See ya, Ollie," she called.

"See ya," I mumbled quietly, walking inside my house.

The next morning when I woke up, ready to go play baseball, I walked outside, and Andrew was walking down the sidewalk.

"Andrew!" I called to him and he turned around with a small smile, "wanna walk together?" I asked him.

"Sure," he said, walking beside me.

The walk there was mostly silent, and when we reached the entrance of our baseball diamond, we walked to the dugout, and I saw something that made my heart drop.

It was Danny, except there was a girl by his side holding his hand.

I bit my lip slightly, choking back the tears that threatened my eyes. I walked a lot slower.

I couldn't stop staring at them sadly.

I felt someone gently nudge my arm.

"Ollie," Andrew said softly.

"I'm fine," I said, blinking rapidly to keep the tears from falling.

He left the back of his hand on my arm, making me feel a bit less devastated.

As we walked up, I saw Kris give me a worried glance, but luckily, no one else noticed that I was on the verge of tears.

Danny turned around and saw Andrew and me.

"Oh hey guys!" He said smiling, "this is Paige." She smiled and waved at us and I smiled to keep the tears from falling.

"Um, I'll be back. I'm gonna um...go give Ollie a few pointers on pitching," he said softly.

Everything was a blur, and, at the time, I didn't actually register in my mind what he was saying. It just sounded like a distant echo in my head.

"Bye guys," he muttered, grabbing my arm gently and pulling me with him.

He walked me to the entrance of the field and we walked out of it.

I leaned my back against the fence and slid to the ground, my head in my hands.

He slid down next to me, and I felt his gaze on me but I didn't look up.

"He's an idiot if he doesn't see how great you are," he muttered.

I was just silent. I knew if I started talking I would cry. 

He wrapped me in his arms and we sat like that until I felt better.