chapter 16

I was walking through the house the next day, when my mom walked up to me.

"Hey mom," I said smiling.

"Hey hon," she said back, kissing me on the forehead, "I have a pretty important announcement," she said smiling.

"What is it?" I asked curiously.

"I've been dating a man for the past few months, and he's asked me to marry him. You're gonna have a step-brother and sister!" She said excitedly.

I was angry, absolutely pissed, but I couldn't bring myself to tell her that. She just looked so excited, and she wanted me to be too. So I played along, because she's my mom, and I want her to be happy.

"That's great!" I said, fake excitement flooding my voice.

"I'm so happy that you're okay with all of this!" She said happily, smiling at me.

She looked so happy, I knew she must love this guy. So I just smiled at her and walked out the door, beginning towards the baseball field.

My mind was anywhere but on baseball.

I sighed as I missed yet another ball that came towards me. I tossed it back and walked to the dugout, sitting down and watching them play.

I didn't need a new dad. I already have one, even if he left us. He's still my dad and I don't want some stepdad coming in and trying to replace him. And, all these boys out here were like my brothers. And Kris and Paige were my sisters. I didn't need anyone else.

I angrily clenched my fists and felt my eyes become glossy, until Andrew's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Are you okay? You're acting kind of out of it today," he told me, searching my eyes for some sort of feeling.

I kept my face blank.

"I'm fine, I just am having an off day, that's all," I said.

"You're lying," he said, watching me carefully.

"Jeez, I said I'm fine, alright?! Let's just go play," I said annoyedly, standing up and walking to my spot.

The guys eyed me skeptically, but I just kept my eyes fixed forward.

Andrew stood in his position as well but the guys kept watching us carefully.

They all walked over to me, talking carefully so as to make sure I didn't blow up on them I guess.

"Do you wanna, like, bat today?" Danny asked gently.

"Or you can pitch if you want," Xavier asked, trying to hand me the ball, giving up his position.

"What position is your favorite?" Karson asked.

"Play whatever one you want," Paige said.

I couldn't help but smile a bit. They all cared so much. They were the best brothers and sisters I could ever have. Which is precisely the reason I do not need stupid step siblings.

"I'm fine right here, thanks guys," I said, smiling slightly at them.

I walked back to my spot, as did everyone else, and we continued playing.

After we played all day, Andrew walked towards me.

"You wanna get ice cream at the diner?" He asked softly, "you seem kinda down today."

"Yeah, that would be great," I said softly, and we walked towards the Blue Sky Diner.

We arrived and both ordered chocolate milkshakes.

"Sorry for blowing up on you earlier," I said softly, looking down at the table.

He put his hand under my chin and lifted it up gently so our gazes connected.

"Ollie, it was my fault for trying to force you to say it. You don't have to tell me what's going on, it's your business, but I want you to know that if you ever want to tell someone, I'm here for you," he said the last part so soothingly and gently, and I smiled at him.

"Thank you, Andrew."

"You're welcome," he said, smiling at me.

I went home that evening, and my mom was sitting on the couch.

"Hey, Olivia," she said smiling.

"Hey, mom," I said back, smiling at her.

"I was thinking maybe Bill and his kids could come over for dinner tomorrow, you know, so you can all meet each other," she said with an excited smile.

"Sure, sounds good," I said, giving her a fake smile.

I walked upstairs to my room, and felt like bursting into tears.

Why do we need this dumb guy. We're doing just fine on our own, my mom and I are doing just fine by ourselves.

I needed to talk to someone, so I did the first thing I could think of.