Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Dom watched as James stormed back into the Manor House, he was not a happy man and every person around him could sense this.  Dom turned back to preparing marinate for one of the dinner items on the menu, knowing full well that the storm would soon come his way.  He let out a sigh as he felt the approach of ‘said’ storm and waited for it to begin.

“That woman!”  He began.  “That blasted woman is nowhere to be found!”  Dom ignored him, truthfully not wanting to engage in this conversation.  Ebony was his friend and he told her she would be safe in his home.  “Well!”  James shouted, “I don’t suppose you know where the hell she disappeared to?”

Dom avoided looking at him saying, “Now what makes you think I’d know where Ebony is?  You are asking about Ebony I take it?”

James glared at Dom, “And who else would I be talking about?”

Dom shook his head and tried not to laugh, “You have no idea do you my friend?  What the hell is wrong with you anyway, she was here!  She was trying hard to fit in and when you drive her away you start complaining because you can’t find her?”  Dom turned towards James, “If you ask me she’s better off gone!”

James stood stock still somewhat surprised by what Dom had said.  Dom in the mean time strode past him and headed for the door leading out onto the deck where customers sat during the warmer months.  He knew if asked he wouldn’t lie about where Ebony was, but damned if he’d give up the information freely.

He looked out over the grounds, lush and green. He’d always loved the gardens here, the scents and the colours all so vivid, fresh and somehow so much cleaner than anywhere else.  He looked towards the driveway and saw the young woman from the tea shop in town, “Janus,” he thought to himself.  She smiled up at him and headed towards the stairs leading up to the deck.

Just as she stepped onto the deck James appeared behind Dom, looking decidedly grumpy and somewhat ruffled.  Janus called out to James asking if she could have a word with him and he looked at Dom as if to say ‘leave’ and walked over to where Janus was standing.

Not one for chit chat, James asked what it was she wanted and she put her hand into her handbag and withdrew an envelope.  “I was asked to give this to Braedon,” she said, “The young lady that was visiting here gave it to me.”

James looked from the envelope to Janus and back again then put out his hand to take it.  Janus handed him the envelope and as she turned to leave said she hoped that the young lady would be alright.  James touched her arm to stop her, surprised that he felt so concerned.  “What makes you say that?” he began

Janus smiled softly wanting to leave, but answered his question, “She was rather upset when I spoke with her.  She spent some time mulling over what she wrote in her letter and by the time she’d finished it she was close to tears.  She asked me to bring this here and I have.”  At that she pulled away from James and headed out.

James looked at the envelope in his hand uncertain as to what would be in it.  He wanted to rip it open there and then to find out, but kept his outer calm and placed it in his jacket pocket.  He turned to see Dom in the doorway watching him and when he glared at him Dom returned to his kitchen and James returned through the same doorway and continued through the Manor going upstairs to his office.

When he reached his office James quietly closed the door and sat behind his desk.  He placed the envelope in front of him and stared at it.  He wanted to open it, wanted to discover what it was that she had to say for herself, hopefully telling why she ran away.  But he just sat there looking at it.