The Manor House

Chapter 1

The Manor House sat comfortably by the lake, water birds floating amongst the water lilies looking for food beneath the surface.  An old fashioned wharf set towards the far end of the main building, away from the formal lawns with their gazebos and benches.  Several dinghies and rowboats were tied to the wharf, while two or three scattered across the lake with people enjoying the surroundings or trying their hand at fishing. 

Rumour had it, as with many small towns that there was a rather large and somewhat un-catchable trout named ‘Mo’ living within this particular lake.  Each year the town held what they called ‘The Merridale Fishing Fest’ as both a means of entertainment and also as a source of revenue for the town, bringing people from all over to try their hand at doing the undoable… catching ‘Moe’.

At one time the Manor House had belonged to a well to do family in the area, old money as they say.  It had stayed within the ranks of this family for several generations, but as time wore on it became increasingly difficult to maintain the Manor.  So, rather than lose it completely and have no say, in what would happen to the place; the owner willed it to a local charity to utilize.  There were just two stipulations, that the building could never be demolished and that because of its uniqueness it should be maintained as is. 

The Manor left the hands of the charity over time and became an exclusive hotel, one where well off families came together at intervals to escape city life and relax.  The original buildings were maintained and only minor improvements added.  Because thankfully the Manor became heritage listed and demolishment was no longer be a concern.

As time wore on it became a well known and sort after place for couples to spend time alone and with the invention of Christmas in July, clientele boomed.  Throughout the buildings reminders of a by gone era could still be seen – alcoves with comfortable couches used as sitting rooms, original artwork, hanging tapestries and the piece de-resistant a full suit of armour to greet visitors as they entered the foyer.

The bedrooms although modernised with bathrooms, television and telephones and the rooms were dressed with lace curtains, plush armchairs, warm inviting bed covers and scatter cushion neatly placed on beds and chairs.  Rooms were of varying sizes some with sitting rooms, depending on the needs of the guest, but all with a decided mark of comfort.

Ebony reminisced as she wondered around the grounds, thinking about the day she had arrived at the Manor and everything that had happened since.  It seemed so long ago now, but in reality only a few months had passed.  She sat on a bench by the lake smiling to herself as she thought about those first few days and how shy and nervous and confused she had been.

She could picture herself getting off the train and wondering what on earth she had gotten herself into.  She remembered seeing James for the first time she remembered how she felt her face flushed when their eyes met and how the first time he touched her it had sent shivers down her spine.  

He was not who she had been led to believe and when the truth outed; it became a rather painful topic of discussion for her.  For him it was less painful and more reflective of how he had assumed she’d be.  She didn’t trust easily, and in her eyes this had been an abuse of her trust in him.

As she travelled to the Manor House that first day, she was so unsure of what she’d agreed to and had several moments of almost sheer panic where she wanted to jump out of the car and ‘run’!  But she knew she couldn’t run, she had put herself and her faith in a man she was yet to meet face-to-face and she knew she had to at least give this situation a chance.