Chapter 15 - Falling From a Mountain

I was starting to remember things that I shouldn't be remembering. Apparently, that was what was supposed to happen. I was supposed to 'remember'. It was meant to make things better. But, if that was the case, then why did I feel one step closer to 'worse'?

I was sitting at home with Ivy and Liam on a Sunday, watching a movie on my couch. Although we weren't really watching the movie; we were talking for most of it. Pax was out with Charlie and Rye, who were going to see their parents. I could assume that they weren't looking forward to it, which was why my brother was going with them. To hold Rye back from putting his parents in a hospital, at least.

"So how do you think they are going?" Ivy asked suddenly, cutting through Colin Firth's speech on the screen. I sighed, throwing my head back in irritation.

"They've literally been gone for half an hour," I shot back, pinching the bridge of my nose in annoyance. "If he punched one of them in the face, we'd know about it."

"Why the hell did he go out to meet with them if he knew it was going to end in someone getting bruised?" Liam muttered, slouching back against the couch with one knee bent in front of him. "He's an idiot, I'll tell you that much."

"Anyone would agree with you at this point," I murmured back, studying the screen.

"I would not insult him too much," Ivy put in, a sly smile on her gorgeous features. "I hear that he apologise to Fletcher this morning, about the 'last year' situation. Approached his house, even." Despite my aggravation at the topic, I shot my head up, wide-eyed.

"He did not," I breathed. Ivy started grinning as she leaned back on her hands, shrugging.

"He did too," she confirmed. "Max told me." I frowned momentarily.

"Wait, how did Max know?" I asked, bewildered.

"He was the one who dragged Rye over there," Ivy replied smoothly, popping a bit of chocolate in her mouth. "Otherwise, he would've just sent a text or something."

"Ooh, he's pushing it," I muttered, clenching my jaw.

"Isn't that a good thing that he apologised?" Liam put in with a frown. "You can talk to them in the same room now."

"I was the one who told him to apologise," I answered shortly, under my breath. "Yesterday, right before I-"

"Liv," Ivy stepped in, and I looked at her. She was watching me cautiously. Finally, I sighed.

"Neither of you are here to watch a movie, are you?" I muttered, returning an empty gaze to the screen we had abandoned. Ivy and Liam exchanged glances.

"We are here because we care about you," Ivy corrected. "That is what friends do; they care about each other, they are there for each other."

"And they have food," Liam put in, still eating out of a bag of doritos that he'd opened before he even got to my house. Ivy raised an eyebrow at him.

"Could you eat any louder?" she scoffed, and he grinned.

"Probably," he shot back. "Wanna see me try?"

"Ladies, please," I interrupted with a sigh, rubbing my forehead tiredly.

"Liv, are you alright?"

"Yeah, fine," I replied hoarsely, closing my eyes to the pounding that began in my head.

"Pax is worried," Liam picked up, and I looked up at him, an eyebrow raised.

"Is he now," I muttered.

"You cannot punish him for trying to look after you," Ivy shot back, a disapproving look on her face. "All he has ever known is how to look after you, and you are exhausting him, making it harder. And he is still taking the blame."