Chapter 9 - Apparently, Everybody Likes Somebody

I hardly slept that night. It was partly because of Mara giggling at the person she was texting until five in the morning, but it was mostly because of what happened at the campfire, and before that. Rye was unpredictable, and I didn't know what to do about it. Part of me wanted to stay away and never talk to him again, but the other part of me knew what Rye's soft side was like, and wanted to get to know that side of him. But, like I said; I didn't know how to do that.

By the time it was five thirty, I'd only just closed my eyes, but since we needed to wake at six for breakfast, I only slept for half an hour.

I could hear Mrs. Jones walking by everyone's cabins, clapping a spoon to a pan while shouting at us to get up. I groaned, grabbing my pillow to hold it over my head. The clanging was still there, but it was muffled.

But it was still there.

By the time I'd gotten out of bed, I was sure everyone was already outside prepping for breakfast. I managed to pull on a pair of grey track-pants that were rolled up at the bottom to allow space for my shoes, and I tugged a black jumper over my head, patting my hair down gruffly. My eyes had purple bags hanging beneath them, and my eyelids barely managed to stay open as I trudged out of my cabin and towards the dining pavilion, wishing I'd listened to Pax when he told me he didn't want me to come on this stupid camp in the first place.

When I stepped in the room, I was immediately greeted by a flood of warm air that made me sigh in relief. I stepped down a small step and moved further into the room after spotting Rye and Max sitting at one of the side tables, playing a game of cards. As I sat down next to Max, both boys looked up and gawked at me.

"Stop staring," I grumbled, resting my arms on the table so I could hide my head in them. "I'm just tired."

"You look like you had a fight with your pillow," Max commented hesitantly, and I looked up to catch his eyes.

"Mara was up all night texting someone," I replied with a scowl, raking my hands through my hair and leaving them there. "I got to sleep about an hour ago."

Rye breathed in. "That's unfortunate," he sighed, tossing his cards onto the table. "Full house; I win."

Max threw his own cards down with a groan of frustration. "You're such a bloody cheater, Rye," he snapped, but Rye only shrugged in reply.

"Being better than you isn't really cheating," he replied with a shrug, a grin materialising from his victory. "Better luck next time, bro. I hope you two know how to do this work today, cause I have no f*cking clue."

I frowned at his language. "Weren't you listening at all in chemistry?" I scoffed, and he shrugged, leaning back with his hands resting behind his head.

"Nope," he admitted. "I think Mrs. Jones is putting us in a group of three; that's why I hope you two know what you're doing."

"That's alright, I'll do the work," I sighed. "But I won't show you when I'm done."

Rye exhaled in what looked like irritation. "Whatever," he sighed, and I swallowed, averting my eyes quickly. I heard Max mutter something, but someone calling out from the kitchens saved me.

"Breakfast is up," they called. "Come get it."

So, to avoid confrontation, I got up and obeyed.

I brought back a bowl of what looked like porridge. I honestly couldn't tell, but it was warm and I was cold, so I went for it. But when I came back to sit next to Max, someone else sat across from me. And there was only one guess as to who that was.

"Hey, Liv," Mara announced, placing her breakfast on the table before me. Two of her friends sat with us, and I looked up at her, slowly eating the porridge that was on my spoon. I then glanced sideways at Max, who raised his eyebrows at me and went to open his mouth to say something. But I bet him to it.