Chapter 2 - Stupid Eyeballs

When the lesson was over, Charlie told me she would wait outside for me after Ms. Myron asked to see me. I waited for everyone to leave the classroom before I walked slowly up to my English teacher, my bag hung over one shoulder.

"Is this about the poem?" I asked when I reached her desk, "because I can redo it if it isn't what you wanted-"

"No no," Ms. Myron chuckled, "your poem was great. It was written well, for someone who hasn't been to school in a while. I just wanted to talk to you about the content of your poem; is everything alright, back at home?"

I sighed. "It's touchy," I admitted. "Pax has to take care of everything, and it's enough to wear someone thin. He shouldn't have all this responsibility at that age, you know?"

"So this is directed at your... mum?" Ms. Myron asked hesitantly, and I nodded reluctantly.

"You could say that," I replied, then tried for a smile. "But it isn't so bad here; I think I can handle the work for now."

"Good, I'm glad," Ms. Myron sighed in relief, then nodded to the door. "You're free to go; don't forget to speak up if you need anything, okay?"

"Yeah, sure thing," I answered, and left the room. Upon entering the hallway, I found Charlie and Pax leaning against the wall opposite me, talking to each other. I made my way over to them, holding my bag strap with my hand as people plundered past in the corridor.

"Hey guys," I said with a small smile, and they both looked up, smiling as soon as they saw me.

"Hey, how was it?" Pax asked straight away. "Why did she need to talk to you? Nothing happened, right?"

"I told you nothing happened," Charlie exclaimed in disbelief, and Pax put his hands up in protest.

"I'm just saying-"

"Guys, relax," I told them with a chuckle, clearly amused at their banter. "She just wanted to know how things were at home, because I wrote something about Mum."

"What did you write?" Pax asked, his protest swapped out for curiosity. I could see the flecks of concern in his eyes, although he did well to hide it.

"Something about her getting shot," I admitted, and Pax's eyes widened slightly.

"You wrote-"

"I wasn't the one shooting her, if that's what you're going to ask," I sighed. "I wouldn't do something like- I wouldn't... I wrote 'just kidding' at the bottom," I finished finally, breathing in deeply. I could feel it; you know that feeling? That really sickening one that you get when you see a dead bird on the footpath as you're walking to the shops? That one. I could feel it, right at the base of my stomach. Charlie tensed her shoulders and looked around as awkwardly as she could muster. Pax nodded, taking a long drink from his water bottle.

"It's alright," he murmured, scruffing up my hair with his hand as he looked around, scanning the hallway with his identical green eyes. "You hungry? Actually, don't answer that; let's go eat something."

"I brought an apple," I offered helpfully, and Pax grinned as we set off down the hallway.

"You're adorable," he cooed, and Charlie laughed.

We found a seat quite easily at the cafeteria; Pax was known to many, and me being with him meant that they let me through wherever. Did they know I was his sister? Did know who I was?

Actually, I didn't mind if they didn't.

Pax sat down at a table with a few others sitting there; one girl (excluding myself and Charlie) and a few guys looked up and greeted Pax with unique grins.