A Rescue, a Storm, and a Butt Slap

Beginne am Anfang

Connor shakes his head as he chuckles lightly. "What on earth could Biddle want so badly that he has to attack merchant ships?" Leaving the question hanging, he slowly climbs down the main mast to join Faulkner at the wheel.

But I stop him. "Watch this," I say with a devilish grin. I jump from the crow's nest and grab the hook hanging from the front mast and using my weight, I get an easy way down to the bottom of the mast and land easily on the upper deck.

"You try!" I call to Connor as the hook goes flying back up.

He does the same thing I do just as easily. We then both walk towards Faulkner who is stand at the wheel awaiting orders.

"The Randolph is attacking a merchant vessel not far from here," Connor says to Faulkner once we're beside him.

"Your orders?" Faulkner asks.

"We need to find out what Biddle intends but we must hurry," Connor replies as he takes the wheel. "What else do you know of Biddle?" He asks no one in particular after a few minutes of silence as we ride towards the skirmish.

"He's a Templar," I say from where I sit on the railings in front to the wheel. Connor gives me the look.

"All of the sudden Congress has a brand new ship for him to captain," Robert says bringing Connor out of his stare. "From British coxswain to captain of a Colonial Flagship. Something doesn't add up."

"Of course it doesn't," I mutter.

Connor lets out an annoyed sound before he turns the Aquila towards the helpless merchant ship.

"There's a storm comin', captains," Mister Faulkner says to us out of the silence. "Feels like a big one."

I give a light nod before I lean back lightly on my palms that are still resting on the railings in front of the wheel. I lean my head back and close my eyes. The night air is cool. A gentle breeze lifts loose strands of blond and faded orange hair into the air. I smell the sea with its salty aroma and invite it in as if it were an old friend. The crew is quiet and calm. They talk amongst themselves quietly or a sleeping around in odd places on the upper deck. I smile to myself. For once, and for only in this moment, everything is a t peace… That is until I feel huge drops of rain splash onto my face and soak through my black captain's uniform. "Well… crap," I mutter.

"I guess you were right about the storm, Mister Faulkner," Connor says to Robert as he struggles against the harsh winds blowing the sails and waves forward. I already begin to feel cool and have to adjust my hat to keep it from flying off.

"Rouge winds!" Robert yells. "Be careful captain!"

"Half sail!" I call to the crew before Connor can. The sails go down and the waves become less treacherous to move through.

"That wind'll push us hard-up those rocks!" Robert calls to us. "Veer off!" He's right, of course. The rocks on either side of the Aquila would surely do some damage.

The thunder and lightning quickly follow the pouring rain and cause me to have a sort of panic attack. I try to calm myself. It doesn't work. It becomes harder to breathe and my vision is becoming blurry. I brace myself on a railing until the fright passes.

The storm only seems to get worse once we leave the protection of the rocks. The merchant ship and the Randolph are beginning to become visible through the sheets of rain coming down.

"All heads down!" Connor shouts to us as a huge wave comes into view. I feel another wave of panic come over me.

The water seems to engulf the entire ship as the rain and ocean water splash across the deck smothering us all. I take cover as I feel a rush of cold water cover my body.