chapter 33: A small part

A new generation has risen.

Chapter 33: A  small part

16 years later

Her blue eyes scanned the jungle green and under brush. The wind rattled against the hard bark of the trees and swooshed into her lively dark curls. Jungle life noises krept up to her ears and tickled her ear drums, her head jerking. Her hands clasped around the firm wood of her bow as her arm went over her shoulder. Slowly, she took out an arrow and, with that lovely clinking sound, the arrow slid onto her bow. Breath, she remembered. Breath and aim. Those were the lessons her mother taught her when she was younger. 

The deer's head jerked up, eyes wide in fear. It's ears twitched like it's mussle was doing. Leveling the bow, the jungle kid closed her right eyes and aimed. Her breathing evened out, soft and slow. She stretched her arm back until the rope dug into the flesh of her fingers. Her musles flexed and she let go, the arrow flying with that lovely wind sound. There was a small raucus as the other deers dashed away, and then complete silence. 

"Woo, nice shot!" came the voice above Citali. She looked up at the boy dangling from a tree above her. "Bullseye!" he cheered, falling to the dirt ground beside the teenage girl, who just quirked a brow. 

"Jealous?" she teased. "Everyone knows you came to Rook 'cause weren't good for shit, Max," the young boy frowned and crossed his arms over his chest. Even though he was well in his twenties, Max looked like he could be fifteen. He had a boyish look to him, with sandy blond hair, blue eyes and a body skinner than the girl. Although, he was pretty tall. 

"Shut up and go get that deer," he grumbled, leaning against a tree and dipping his blonde head foward. That just made Citali smile and skip foward. 

Citali did have the attitude of her father, but mixed with her mother's as well. She was stubborn, brave and fierce, but she didn't have the little childish part to her like her dad had. She did have his tan though, almost chocolate brown. Her blue eyes were mixed from both her parents. In the sun, they'd turn crazy green, but normally they were blueish grey. 

Citali got to the dead deer, where her arrow had pierced it's abdomen. She pulled on the arrow, the body of the deer jostling and blood squirting out of the wound. She replaced the arrow back in her sheath. A sudden static noise comming from the small radio attached to her hip made her jump to her feet. She cursed and closed her eyes tight. Her parents had made her carry that small radio everywhere just in case they needed to comunicate with her. Now, it became like a cell phone, calling her every second of the day. "Tali!" it was her dad, raging on the other line. 

"What?" Citali yelled into the radio, clutching it so badly her fingers were turning white. 

"Hey what your tone young lady," Vaas grumbled back, and in the background you could hear Myra saying, "What's her problem?" 

"What is it, father?" the young woman sighed into the radio. She saw Max trudge through the trees and make his way toward her. She gave him an exasperated look and turned her back. 

"Get back to camp," her father's voice blew through the static. Citali frowned. 

"Why?"

"Because I said so!" he threw back. There was a rustling static until the sweet, but serious voice of her mother came on. 

"No, Vaas-" a stumbling sound and then a grunt. "Tali, honey, it's going to be dark soon so why don't you make your way back, huh?"

"Sure," Tali sighed, biting the insides of her cheeks. "Sure, mama."

"Thanks!" Myra laughed on the other side and then the static was cut. Tali let out a grunt as a huge gush of wind blew through her dark curls. 

"Yo, if I don't have you back at camp in five minutes, your dad is litterally going to crucify me," Max chuckled, motioning the girl back towards the dirt road. Citali rolled her eyes and marched on, her boots crunching the hard dirt. 

"He won't do it if I tell him no to," she grumbled, pushing past Max, who gave her a bright smile. 

"Ah, you'd do that for me?" he cooed, catching up to her as they marched through the jungle. 

"Don't flatter yourself, asshole," the brunette chuckled, turning her face to the skeletal pirate following her. 

They emerged onto the dirt road, where they had previously parked Citali's four by four wheeler that she got for her fifteenth birthday. She was a bit spoiled, but she never asked for it. When she was ten, her dad saw it fit to teach her to drive. At eleven, she knew how to throw knives, shoot guns and how to use a bow and arrow. By the age of twelve, she could easily climb trees, buildings and had reached a level of problem solving skills higher than anyone on the island. By fifteen, she was raiding caves with her dad and plunging to the depths of the ocean with her mom. And by her sweet age of sixteen, her physical and mental capabilities were extraordinaire.

Max and Citali both got in the wheeler, Tali taking the wheel of corse. She was like her father, always wanting to be in charge and not looking like a pussy.  With a concentrated frown, much like her father's, Citali started the wheeler and stepped on the gas. 

Not even half an hour of riding through the island, Citali and Max drove into camp. They parked the wheeler beside the kitchen, where Timo was feeding the rest of the pirates. Most of the red tank tops greeted the young girl or just hooted her way. She gave everyone a wave and got out, throwing the keys to Max, who just caught them and went in line for food. "Tali!" Myra, accompagnied by Vaas, was walking down the incline. She had her dark curls in a tight braid, and she wore her regular trousers with a white tank. "How was hunting?" she asked, walking up to her daughter who was probably two to three inches taller than her. 

"Good," Tali answered, passing a hand in her hair. "Got a deer."

"Nice," Vaas chuckled, giving his daughter a thumbs up and ruffling her hair. 

"Stop that," the young teenage girl grumbled, placing back her curls so they wouldn't go in her face. 

"Vaas, you know she doesn't like that," Myra grunted, placing a hand on the pirate lord's bicep. Vaas shrugged.

"Kids," he mumbled before chuckling. Tali couldn't help but smirk. 

Myra and Vaas left, the pirate lord drapping his arm over her shoulders and hugging her to him. Their daughter watched them with squinted eyes. All her years on this island had not taught her what Myra and Vaas had. They were special, something weird brought up after blood and tears. Something no one will ever understand, but themselves. Something no one else will ever have. Each other.