Chapter 20: I'm not okay

It wasn't his alarm clock or the loud chirping birds that woke up Gerard this time but it was his phone blasting the Lord of the Rings battle theme at full volume.

Gerard jolted awake, frightened by the loud ringtone and scrambled out of the desk chair which he fell asleep in, desperately trying to find his ringing phone to answer it.

"Hello," he said after he found it on his unmade bed,"Who's calling this early anyway?"

"Check caller ID, you idiot." Gerard immediately recognized the sarcastic voice as none other than Frank,"Also, it isn't that early. It's a quarter to eight and I'm on the bus. Sorry if I woke you up,sleepyhead, but you weren't answering your texts."

"Fuck," Gerard swore to himself as he double checked the time on his clock. He only had fifteen minutes to get ready for school,"Why didn't Mikey wake me up?"  He was going to have a serious talk with his brother once he got downstairs. He put the phone on speaker and placed it on his desk while searching around for his uniform.

"He texted me saying he had to bring his science project to school. Ray also went him because have you seen Mikey's giant scale solar system model?" Frank continued talking,"Anyway, I'll leave you now. Bye!"

Frank hung up before Gerard could reply. Within that three minute call, Gerard had been able to locate all his clothes and was already in his gray dress pants. He swore once again to himself just as he realized he had to rebutton his dress shirt up after missing some of the buttons the first time. He looped his tie lazily around his neck and didn't bother with the buttons on his school jacket.

As Gerard rushed around to gather all his school things, he scolded himself about staying up late playing a fantasy role-play game on his computer. He didn't even remember passing out at his desk and because of that he didn't get to set his alarm. On top of all that, his face was sore from sleeping on a hard wood desk.

He stumbled  into the bathroom, trying to not waste any time. He looked at himself in the mirror and shrieked nearly scared himself with how dead he looked. Gerard grabbed a concealer he had bought himself a while back and started applying eyeliner. He usually didn't bother with makeup for school  but with all the rush of this morning, everything seemed worsed.

Gerard quickly finished in the bathroom and sped down the stairs. The house was empty and he felt relieved no one was home to watch him speed around like a mad man. He dropped off his backpack at the front door and ran back into the kitchen. He opened the fridge and grabbed whatever he could find for lunch which ended up being carrots and left over pasta. 

Just as he thought the rush was over, his stomach had other plans. Gerard poured himself whatever was left in the coffee machine in a random mug and downed the cold liquid in one go. Even if it wasn't heated, coffee was coffee and Gerard definitely needed it right now. He quickly opened the fridge again for food to satisfy himself and spotted the left over pancakes but with his luck there was only one left.

As he was about to stick the pancake in the toaster, Gerard's time was up. The doorbell rang, making him jump in the air in surprise. Frank was already at his house. Not wanting to leave him waiting, he hurried towards the door decided that a none toasted pancake would.

''Coming!' Gerard yelled through the door and stuck his cold pancake in his mouth as he tried to lace up his school shoes as fast as he could. He grabbed the house keys and school stuff and stumbled out of the house, nearly hitting Frank by swinging the door open.

Gerard greeted Frank but it sounded muffled due to the pancake. He adjusted his appearance in an attempt to look like he hadn't spent the last ten minutes running around the house. Frank laughed and plucked the pancake from his mouth and took a bite,"Hey! That's mine!"