Chapter 7: The cuddly drunk puppy

The last week of October was Frank's favourite week of the year. Kicking bright orange dead leaves around, pumpkin pie, the weather not being too cold or too hot and, of course, Halloween. Frank loved Halloween and everything about it.The best part is that he shared it with his birthday. It was awesome that his birthday was on Halloween.

It just made the day better and he could always do something spooky or out of the normal to celebrate. Frank was going to be eighteen this year meaning he would be an adult. There wasn't much to do when turning eighteen besides being able to vote but he didn't really care about politics.

He wasn't one to throw parties or anything as it was part of his anti-social punk-rock aesthetic and the fact he didn't have many friends. Frank liked to do casual hang outs for his birthdays where he can do stupid teen things with his stupid teen friends. Except drugs. No drugs because drugs were bad and his mom would probably declare world war three on.

Frank was going to make this the best birthday ever, though, he wished that his friends Matt and Jamia could be here. He missed them more than he thought he would but at the same time Frank felt like he did somehow belonged in Belleville. He wouldn't have met Gerard or Ray who gladly accepted him into their small group. Frank felt bad about the whole ordeal they had to go through but he was glad to help. Would Gerard have come up with a revenge plan if Frank wasn't there? Would they have had the guts to stand up to those high school pricks?

As Frank walked into school, lost in his thoughts about Halloween and friends, he forgot that to go in the school building, you needed open a thing called a door. He had managed to smack his face right into the glass door. Frank and doors seemed to be a bad mix lately. Frank heard snickers from the kids around him but he laughed it off as he continued walking.He didn't care but his head did really hurt. It hadn't ruined Frank's mood because it was the last week of October and nothing can erase his happiness of this week.

With a smile on his face, Frank quickly turned a few corners in the hallway, avoiding students and dodging teachers. Finally he reached his locker where Gerard was standing there,waiting for him.

"What's with the huge smile, Frankie?"Gerard said teasing him in a friendly way, "Did you see your one true love or something?" Frank stuck his tongue out at him as of he was a five year old. Gerard simply didn't understand how amazing this week was.

"Yeah totally. Nah, it's my birthday soon." Frank proudly announced,"Eighteen to be exact."

"Oh yeah," Gerard exclaimed, suddenly remembering."It's on Halloween right? That's got to be the best birth date ever."

"Totally agree with you. Anyway, I was wondering if you and Ray wanted to hang out? Like just chill inside, eat candy and even wear costumes because it's freaking Halloween."

"Well," replied Gerard. Frank held his breath, prepared for the rejection. He didn't want to be alone on his birthday."We can hang out at my place. My parents are gonna be out of town and I need to hand out candy for trick-or-treaters so you and Ray can come over if you'd like."

"That's totally cool and okay with me." Frank sighed with relief. He probably would have asked if they could hang out at Gerard's place anyway. Their new house was still a mess. Plus, Frank's mom got a new boyfriend and Frank did not want to go through a series of awkward introductions."Mikey's gonna be there too?"

"He's bringing his friend Pete if that's okay? You guys have a lot in common so you'll get along well. You both like punk-rock music and are remarkably short."

"You aren't that tall either, Gee." Frank mocked. He may be five foot six but he can sure take down anyone in his path.

"Hey, I'm a full three inches taller than you, Frodo Baggins." Gerard teased with the new nickname. Frank sarcastically laughed and his face turned serious. He then jumped on Gerard, nearly tackling him to the floor.