Because Of My Brother

Alima and I went to the hallway to 'investigate' what the scream was for, it was a whole bunch of girls crowded around one poster, some walked away looking excited, some walked away looking disappointed. I saw Lonnie who looked very happy, "hey, Lonnie" I called her over, "oh hey Eliza" she exclaimed, "what's going on?" I asked her, gesturing to the crowd of girls. "The cheer leading team, go check if you made it!" Lonnie smiled at me. "Oh really, that's it, okay" I shrugged.

I walked over to the poster, shoving the girls out of my way, mom said 'have courage, be kind' but this was just out of hand.

Getting to the poster, I scanned it for my name, I kept repeating my name in my head, when I made it to the end of the list, I didn't see my name, I furrowed my eyebrows and kept looking over and over but my name wasn't on the list. 

Slight angry, I walked away from the poster,  "did you make it?" Lonnie asked, "no" I huffed. "No? You totally rocked your tryout" Lonnie furrowed her eyebrows, "yeah, she probably didn't choose me because of my brother" I almost clenched my teeth. "No way, that's not fair" Alima said, "you think, my four years here are going to be determined by my brother" I rolled my eyes, shifting my weight to one leg. "Well, maybe we can talk to her?" Lonnie asked, "please,  I don't want to" I said, "Well, you can, look, she's right there" Lonnie pointed. 

I spun around and saw Audrey wearing a light pink dress with sunglasses on her head, she smiled to the girls and hugged some others. I sighed and walked towards her, "Audrey!" I called, she turned to me and her smile faded, "What do you want?" "I want to know why didn't I make the team, was it because of something I did... or who I am?" I added. Audrey laughed and placed a hand on my shoulder that I brushed off. "Honey, do you really think I didn't choose you because you're the sister of Chad?" she asked, "uhm, actually, yes" I said. "Of course I didn't, I didn't choose you because I felt your flips were sloppy and your landing was shakey" Audrey said. I rose and eyebrow, "but isn't that just the thing, aren't you suppose to take already good cheer leaders and work on their problems to make the best team?" I tested her. "Yes" she shifted her weight to one leg, "then why didn't you choose me?" I tested once more, "because-- I told you" Audrey said nervously. "Fine, you know what, you are just a jealous princess that needs to understand that the past is the past and if you cannot let that go, then you are a horrible cheer leading captain that will make this cheer leading team fall a part with your attitude, and--" I almost continued, 'have courage, be kind' my mothers words rung in my head. 

I closed my mouth and looked at Audrey who looked said and nervous, "that's just it" I finished. I looked at the other princesses who looked shocked, I turned around and saw Jay and Carlos who were also shocked. I saw Jay who walked up to my, "you have a smart mouth" Jay said, "okay, and?" I asked, "I like girls with a smart mouth" he winked. "Ew" I brushed him to the side and went back to my friends. I saw Alima glare at Jay and Jay looked mesmerized by Alima, "let's go" she rolled her eyes.

It was lunch and I sat with Lonnie and Alima, I turned and saw the table with the considered 'jocks'. Carlos and Jay sat there, and I saw my brother, he was sitting there too. "Wow, progress" I said, "what was that?" Alima asked, "huh, oh nothing" I shrugged it off.

I was watching my brother who also talked to Carlos and Jay, he glanced at me and I waved, he waved back, he said something to the table then got up and walked to us. "Oh boy" I said, he plopped himself next to me. "Hey little sister" he said, "hey Chad" I said, "I heard about that brawl you got in with Audrey" he said, "it wasn't a brawl, I just needed to correct her on what she thinks is 'alright" I said. "Seemed like a brawl" he said, "well, it wouldn't of happened if you were just a little smarter last year" I snapped back. "Ouch!" he said, "didn't mother ever tell you to have courage and be kind?" joked, "pretty sure she told you too, but guess who's not listening to her words" I said. "Touche" he said. "Please go back to your table, this conversation is over" I said, "okay, wow" Chad said, slowly getting up from his seat and sitting down back at the table.