forty-two

Jungkook and Seojun's hands are clasped together as they walk side by side, making their way to Seojun's aunt's bakery.

"It's so cold," Seojun complains, teeth chattering. She smiles at Jungkook. "Good thing you're here to keep me warm."

A dark blush blooms on the boy's cheeks as he groans and covers his face with his free hand. "Oh my god, noona, that was so cheesy."

Seojun laughs, merely pressing a soft kiss to Jungkook's steadily warming cheeks. "You're so cute."

"And you're annoying," giggles Jungkook, cutely scrunching up his nose as Seojun musses his dark locks.

They open the door to the shop, and a man at the counter turns at the sound of the tinkling bell. At the sight of the male's face, Jungkook, on some odd instinct, hastily pulls his hand out of Seojun's grip, and upon noticing the curious look his girlfriend gives him, he links their arms together and stuffs his hand into his pocket.

"Hi, hyung!"

Seokjin smiles amiably at the couple, first greeting Jungkook with a cheerful hey before turning to Seojun and smiling politely. "You guys like this place, too?"

"T- This is noona's aunt's bakery," Jungkook stammers, glancing at said female, feeling antsy. "She works here."

"Oh," Seokjin says, eyes crinkling into crescents as he beams and turns to Seojun. "So you like baking?"

The pompom on Seojun's hat bounces with the enthusiastic nodding of her head. "Yeah, of course!"

Seokjin's face lights up, and the two are suddenly launching themselves into a deep conversation about baking, cooking, and the like. Jungkook is getting more jittery by the second. He is extremely grateful when the lanky boy at the counter hesitantly interrupts their conversation, a small styrofoam box still in his hands.

"Right, my pastries," Seokjin laughs, taking the container.

Seojun presses a chaste kiss to Jungkook's chapped lips, making the boy flush a dark red as he becomes increasingly aware of Seokjin's presence. "See you when my shift's over, yeah?" she asks, her fingers lightly resting on the side of Jungkook's face.

Jungkook moves his head up and down in an affirmative nod, willing himself to keep staring Seojun in the eyes— Seokjin is being distracting. "See you later, noona."

Seojun pats Jungkook's cheek with a giggle and heads behind the counter. "See you, Jungkookie!"

"Bye!" Jungkook and Seokjin exit the bakery together, and the elder throws an arm around his friend as they walk along the sidewalk, boots crunching on the iced-over dead leaves strewn on the ground by the harsh winter breeze. Jungkook coughs. "You know," he begins, leaning into the elder once he knows he's caught his attention, "you made me super nervous in there." He stares at Seokjin's face and continues, "Normally I'm pretty, uh— pretty relaxed with Seojun noona, but I felt like you were judging us."

Seokjin scoffs. "Why would I be judging you? You guys make each other happy; it's a good relationship."

Jungkook smiles brightly at that, pulling his scarf up over his face to cover his reddening cheeks. "Do you think noona and I will be together for a long time?"

"Maybe," Seokjin says passively, with a lazy shrug. "I can't predict the future."

"Oh, come on," Jungkook snorts jokingly, "can't you at least pretend like you're happy for us?"