First Date

I puffed out steam unzipping the yellow monstrosity smothering me. I watched through the window as Haruhi hurried to Tamaki’s side, tangling her arm into his. I pursed my lips. It seemed highly out of character for her; especially considering the fact she was trying to hide her identity from her fellow classmates.

                I tossed the dress to the side and rummaged through my backpack. Inside, I found a white lacy T-shirt, a big smiley face poncho, and faded jeans. I smiled slipping on the clothes. One of the greatest things about living with the twins was that their Mother was a famous fashion designer. Recently, she’d decided to use me as her lab rat. I wasn’t complaining.

                “Hurry up in there!” Hikaru groan pounding an angry fist against the door. “We’re waiting!”

                “Almost done.” I called back. It was getting harder to keep my cool around Hikaru. Call me crazy, but ever since he found out about his brother asking me out on a date I swore he had become more hostile towards me. I pushed the thought into the back of my mind and fastened the choker to my neck. Once done, I unlocked the door to see a pair of golden eyes beaming down at me.

                “About time.” Hikaru grunted. “The others are waiting in the limo.”

                I nodded. “Where’s Kaoru?”

                “Why does it matter?” He snapped. I stared at him wide eyed. He let out an uneven breath. “He sent me to play nice. Come along.”

                He didn’t give me a chance to speak. Instead, he shoved his hands into his pockets and lead the way down the halls and out the door. I kept my gaze dancing along the horizon of the emptied walls. School let out nearly a half hour ago and the lack of chatter cast an almost eerie feeling along the school. I sighed. Hikaru didn’t mutter a word.

                “So,” I started. He continued his steady pace. “What do you like to do for fun?”

                “Small talk is beneath you.” He growled. “Keep me out of it.”

                I nodded. We were almost out the door. I looked left, and then right trying to find something to start conversation. I hated this awkward silence. I had to live with Hikaru for God knew how long. I was desperate to find a common interest, anything to make him hate me less. I spotted a faded yellow sheet of paper pinned to the wall. Why hadn’t I noticed it before? I veered off the path to investigate. Hikaru paused, then continued walking without me. I ripped the sheet off the wall and cradled it in my hands.

                “Indie Festival” It read in small Japanese characters. Doodles were sketched across the sheet in crazy colors and random styles. “Tuesday night at the pier.”

                I folded the paper in half and crammed it into my pocket. Today was Tuesday, and I’d been craving a good concert since I got here. I glanced around for Hikaru. His footsteps echoed into the distance. I heard the doors swoosh open and slam shut. I frowned. He left me.

Perfect.

                I started back after him, but try as I might, I couldn’t shake the concert out of my head. I wanted to go so badly. Music was a huge part of my life, a part I vowed to leave behind but somehow it managed to find me over and over again. I wasn’t ashamed, not even close, but if Ryley found out…I shivered. Why did Ryley have to know? And it wasn’t like I was going to go alone. A sinister smile spread across my face. When Kaoru asked me out I had told him I would kidnap him instead. What better way to kidnap someone then to bring them to a concert? I heaved my bag across my shoulder and skipped the rest of the way out the doors.