Slipping

“Is it safe to talk?” The eerie voice on the other end of the line sent chills dancing up and down my spine. I glanced back over my shoulder. The kitchen was empty, but I still didn’t feel safe. I slipped outside sliding the door shut behind me. Even though I knew he couldn’t see me, I nodded.

                “Yeah, it’s safe.” I murmured. He let out a sigh of relief.

                “Thank God. I got your note. Are you sure you’re alight?”

                “I’m perfectly fine.”

                “Indie! You’re living with strangers! Don’t tell me you’re fine!”

                “I am.” I said slouching my shoulders. Ryley had a way of making me feel small, even when he was protecting me. “And, they aren’t strangers. They’re the Host Club.”

                “Host Club?” He sneered. “That’s your big defense? ‘They’re the Host Club’? Are you blind or just stupid, sis! You were almost raped and you agreed to stay in a house with boys? You’re just setting yourself up!”

                This is why I handed him a note. Being trapped in a room with Ryley as he yelled at me and degraded me was too much to process, especially now.

Now that I was small,

Defenseless,

Hopeless,

And terrified

I knew I couldn’t handle him.

It was a recipe for disaster.

                I rubbed my arms and found my way to a bench next to a Japanese styled garden. I let out a long, exaggerated breath and sat down.

                “Ryley, it’s not as bad as you think.” I tried, but my voice was barely a whisper.

                “Indie, the hardest thing in the world is watching someone you love set themselves up to fall and then seeing them fall knowing there’s nothing on earth you can do to help them. That is exactly what you make me go through again and again. Sometimes I even think you do it on purpose.”

                I felt myself retreating. Did he really believe that? That I did this all on purpose? To spite him? I wanted to be angry, but an even stranger emotion took over. Sadness. A rouge tear rolled down my cheek. I swatted it away with the back of my hand.

                “Ryley, I love you. I didn’t do this on purpose. I promise! I promise.” I wept. “Please, this isn’t my fault. I’m sorry.”

                “Yeah, yeah.” He huffed. He took a heavy breath. I could see him shaking his head in my mind. His deep blue eyes clouded to gray. His jaw hard and unforgiving. Disappointment lining his face. The more I thought about it, the worse it seemed.

I unwittingly joined a club that wooed women for money,

I almost got raped,

I agreed to live with two young men despite better judgment,

On top of that, I hadn’t even met their parents so chances were,

They were living alone.

It was a bad situation.

Panic settled in the pit of my stomach.

I was beyond idiotic.

                “Hey, Indie?” Ryley’s voice was soft. I perked up. “Just be careful, ok? Reconsider this Host Club nonsense. Come home. It’s safer here, I promise. If I have to, I’ll drop out of University to look out for you. Dad and I can help you. We’ll get you into counseling. Please, trust me. Come home.”