mutt

The door slammed shut, vibrating against the hinges. It was a sound that he has grown all too used to hearing, all because of the flaring temper of the boy before him.

"Sergeant," the man answered curtly, eyes meeting the blazing ones before him. With a brief nod of his head in his direction, his eyes were once again focused on the work laid out in front of him. He seemed to be ignoring the problem before them, ignoring Sergeant altogether, and that didn't sit well with the boy. His response was to walk further into the room, sitting his large frame into one of the chairs in front of the occupied desk.

"Dad," Sergeant ground out, daring to stare the alpha down. Without waiting for him to look up from his work, he began to speak as any alpha - or soon-to-be alpha - would. "What's the issue?"

The alpha was no longer paying attention to his work, instead focusing on the challenging words of his oldest son.

Everyone knows that no alpha likes to be challenged.

"The issue?" He repeated, watching Sergeant with his scrutinizing stare. He didn't seem fazed by his infamous stare at all, instead staring the alpha down as well.

"With the humans."

His blunt tone didn't seem to sit well with the alpha, as he watched the way his son talked about the guests in his home.

"The humans have names and they are our guests."

"Of course they do," Sergeant scoffed, briefly looking away from his father in order to roll his eyes. "But that's besides the point."

The alpha leaned back in his chair, watching Sergeant as he sat in his seat before gesturing for him to continue. "I would have expected you to inform me of their arrival, even tell me more about the strangers that are being let in to the pack's territory -"

"Spencer," his father cut him off, using his real name now. The seriousness of the situation now seemed to set in as he clenched his jaw, the ignorance of his son just now beginning to really hit him. "This situation with Amaya and Brie is none of your concern."

"How is it none of my concern?" Sergeant asked, his blood beginning to boil. One can most definitely say that his temper was inherited. "As future alpha, I think -"

"Yes, future alpha; meaning I am the alpha now and I don't have to discuss anything with you," he snapped, putting an end to the conversation right there. "Now, you will respect the two and be nice because they will be staying with us for a while."

That was all it took for Sergeant to finally lose his temper, standing up from his chair and storming out of the room. It wasn't easy for him to have his father dismiss the authority he was born with, let alone to have a confrontation like this happen with the man he always looked up to. Having his father cast him aside for a couple of humans only served to help nourish the seed of hatred that he felt towards them, rooted deep inside of him.