Starting Over

With the slam of the car door, my fate was sealed.

      I sat in the old car for a while, fumbling with the straps of my worn backpack. I allowed my fingers to trace the various patches on my bag, each one a momento of the life I left behind in each place.

      Small towns, suburbs, rural farms, big cities - they all varied from one another. And, after each relocation, when my mother wanted to move, I didn't want to leave any one of these places. But every time we left, a little part of me stayed there, and it's come to the point where parts of me are scattered across the country - there's no way I'll ever get those pieces back.

      I heard a knock on my glass which startled me. I looked up from my bag and towards the car window, immediately meeting my mother's deep brown eyes. I saw her gesture to the building behind her with a soft smile, but I could see through her facade. I've grown up seeing the constant fear in those eyes of hers for so long. I can't remember a time when she actually smiled and truly meant it.

      I smiled back, just for show, as she began walking towards the open front door of the building. I guess that's one thing my mom and I have in common - we never admit how we truly feel or what's bothering us.

      Stepping out of the car, I was finally able to get a good look at the place I'll be calling home for the next I-don't-know-how-many days, or weeks, or months...

      "I'm gonna get you!"

      I had to hold back a scream as a little boy ran outside of the large house, an older girl chasing after him. I didn't know there were going to be strangers inside the house when my mom and I moved in, let alone that there were more of them.

      One by one the people began to pile out of the house, gathering up on the front lawn as my mother was nowhere to be seen. I so desperately wanted to just get back inside the car and go back to Michigan to our old home, our old friends, and our old life back there.

      I'm not so sure I can do this anymore.

      My mother emerged from within the house on to the front lawn, immediately beginning to greet a couple that stood by the door. Something about them seemed oddly familiar, but I just couldn't quite put my finger on where I've seen them before.

      I quickly averted my eyes as they caught me staring, making my way towards the back of the car and taking a seat in the trunk.

      "Brie, what are you doing back here?" My mom finally showed up, her hands placed on her hips. I looked up from my bag once again, only to see a wide smile on my mother's face. It's honestly been so long since I've seen her act like this at all... what happened?

      "Mom, who are these people? I thought we were moving in by ourselves," I mumbled, carefully peering around the side of the car. If it was even possible, more people began to pile out in front of the house.

      The smile fell from her face as she reached behind me for another box. "Honey, that just wasn't possible, so I asked a friend of mine to move in for a while -"

      "You mean until we move again?" I retorted, crossing my arms out in front of me.

      I just couldn't help but get this way with her. For once in my life, I'd just like to settle down and build a life somewhere without having to worry about starting over. But, not only won't I get that, but my own living space because my mother so conveniently moved us in the same home as about half the population of this freaking state.

      How fantastic.

      "Brie, please," my mother pleaded with me, but I just wasn't having it. This is why I wish my dad were here sometimes - he always understood me better than my mother ever did or will.

      "Whatever," I mumbled, grabbing my headphones from my bag and plugging them in to my iPod. I immediately began to blast Fall Out Boy as loud as I could before I began to move my boxes in to my "new home".

      Yeah, right.

______

a/n.

consider this the prologue for this lovely story that I'm so excited for! I really hope you're starting to get a feel of what this book is going to be about, and, if not, I hope you're curious enough to stick around :)

vote | comment | follow | share

I love you all and I hope you stick around until I actually start this book (which will hopefully be very soon) :) until next time my loves xx

oh, and that's the lovely Brie Keller in the gif at the top :)