Chapter 29 - Finale

Start from the beginning

That girl would not recognise the woman I have become, she thought, sadly. But then, that girl might have killed herself if she had known what would turn her into this woman.

As she set out, holding Kisuri's hand on one side and Nisala's on the other, she left the shadows behind and stepped out into the sun. Her troubles and fear stayed behind in the palace, and she was able to enjoy a few hours' blissful peace.

Watching Sarri as she tossed her curls and gestured excitedly as she talked, Eliana was reminded of why she must do this thing. Her niece was blossoming into a woman so fast. Her mannerisms were just like Eliana's at her age, but her looks were all her mothers.

As Sarri chattered away, absorbed in the story she was telling, Eliana could not switch off her mind; she imagined her being dragged screaming to the sacrificial altar, her gown being cut away, the flash of the blade in the sun as it descended to slit her throat...

All her resolve returned, and suddenly she was looking forward to the dinner that evening as she thought on the man who would do such a brutal thing to a young girl, and his own daughter at that. Babylon might be full of sophisticated and beautiful things, but its people and customs were still barbaric at the heart.

It was only as they were walking back to the palace for Eliana to dress for dinner that she realised: if this endeavour went wrong, this would be the last time she ever spent with the girls. She smiled to herself – if that was what the gods had in store, then they had truly blessed her with some perfect final moments as a family.

When they reached her apartments, the first thing she did was retreat to her bedroom to say a prayer to the mother goddess of her childhood that everything would go well, and if it did not, that she would protect the girls.

Her hands shook with the anticipation as she readied herself. She could hear the clattering of the table being laid in her dining room – her stomach turned somersaults.

The hour approached.

Eshu arrived in her rooms. Tabi had dressed him in his best tunic and combed his hair out neatly, though an untidy tuft still stuck up stubbornly at the back. He ran to his mother, alight with excitement. 'Am I dressed properly, mother? Will father be pleased?'

She smiled and stroked his cheek affectionately, 'You look the perfect prince, I don't see why your father would not be pleased.'

Samsu arrived not long after.

He had made no special effort with his appearance, but then, she had not expected him to. He limped in, leaning heavily on his walking stick, wearing his usual military tunic. Eliana stood with her hand on Eshu's shoulder – they both bowed as he entered.

Grunting in acknowledgement, he stumped past them and went to the dining chamber without a word, Ashan coming close behind. He did not so much as look at Eliana; he did not dare.

His presence was like a drug to her, and she felt herself beginning to relax a little, knowing that he would do all he could to keep them safe.

She squeezed Eshu's shoulder – his disappointment at his father's greeting was plain to see.

They followed the king through and took their seats at the table. Samsu eyed his wife suspiciously, 'You were keen to get me alone. You usually avoid me,' there was a hint of petulant accusation in his tone.

Eliana smiled brightly, 'No, sir. I enjoy your company, and your son so wanted to spend time with you.'

'Hmm. How are you, boy?'

'I am well, father,' grinned Eshu. 'I have learned so much recently. In today's combat lesson...'

He babbled on, reciting his lessons as Adra and Ashan began to serve them. Eliana's heart was in her mouth. She barely noticed Adra placing drinking bowls before her and Eshu and filling them with watered wine; her eyes were all for Samsu's drinking bowl as Ashan filled it with a strong wine from a separate jug.