Chapter 15 [warning: R-rated content]

Samsu gave Eliana a cold, appraising stare.

She held his eyes with her own for a few moments, her gaze full of sullen resentment, before dropping her head to her knees and hiding her face.

'What do you think, Ashan?' he called to where his stepson sat on the floor cushions reading a tablet.

'Hmm? About what, sir?' he looked up.

'The whore. Has being chained improved her behaviour?'

Ashan hesitated; there was no answer he could give that would benefit Eliana. If he said that her behaviour was improved, Samsu would want to ensure she continued it. If he said that she had not improved, he would keep her there until she did. 'I haven't heard any negative reports from her guards. But whatever it has done for her behaviour, being chained has certainly not improved her appearance.'

'Explain.'

'Well, look at her, sir. If you don't mind me saying so, she could use a wash. Even a pet dog needs to be bathed once in a while. I wouldn't want her in my bed looking that dirty.'

Samsu scoffed, 'a visit to the bathhouse is a privilege to be earned. But if she has not been rebellious this week, perhaps I could see my way to striking a bargain.'

Eliana raised her head to show that she was listening.

'Would you like that, karkittu? A visit to the baths. You are beginning to look and smell like a stray animal, after all.'

She nodded, not wanting to risk speaking and allow audible hatred to seep into her voice.

'Very well – you may go, under three conditions. Firstly, you will go with guards. They will stay with you at all times. You will not make any foolish and futile attempts at escape, because I assure you they will not go well. Next, you will not so much as look at or speak to another person while you are unchained. I will hear about it from your guards if you break this rule, and you will not be allowed out again. Lastly, you must come to me willingly afterwards.'

The last condition made her stomach turn; the thought of laying with Samsu again was sickening. Her spirit would never be willing, but for the sake of an hour's freedom, perhaps she could force her body to quiescence while he took his pleasure.

He would have her again whether she came willingly or not; she supposed she might as well be clean when he did.

She nodded again.

'Very well then, we have an agreement. You will go under guard, bathe, and then pay the price for your privilege. Ashan, make the necessary arrangements.'

'Sir.' Ashan inclined his head and returned to his tablet, suppressing a triumphant smile.

*

True to his word, Samsu had two guards come for her the following day. The chink as the padlock opened and released her collar from the chain was the sweetest sound Eliana had ever heard. It took all her self-restraint not to run as soon as it dropped away – not because she thought she had any real hope of escape, but because she needed to spend her pent-up energy and feel swift and fleet again, moving her legs as fast as they would carry her. The guards would not see it that way.

As she was led to the bathhouse, she revelled in the simple pleasure of putting one foot in front of the other without being held back. It had been over a week since she had been able to venture more than three steps at a time; her knees shook a little, the guards following close at her heels. They didn't see a single living soul on their way there, and when they reached the squat white building, it was deserted.