Chapter 4 | part 2

The ladies’ bathhouse was a beautiful building constructed of white stone over a natural hot spring. The sisters stripped off and eased into the blissful, soothing waters as two silent slave girls appeared and began to wash and massage them. They didn’t so much as blink at Eliana’s injuries – Samsu’s ways were well-known amongst the women of the palace.

Eliana finally began to relax as the girl’s strong fingers worked at her tender muscles. It was never far from her mind that there would be terrible times to come, and unimaginable experiences to endure – but she would spend more time in Kisha’s company than Samsu’s. She would only ever have to make it through a few hours at a time before she could return to her sister.

It was a price she was willing to pay.

They sat quietly throughout the bath, enjoying the peace and the simplicity of being in each other’s company again. Mari had been a great help to Kisha, but she was no replacement for the sister she had raised.

When they finally climbed out, the slave girls dried and dressed them. It was an unusual experience for Eliana, who had always done everything for herself. It wasn’t entirely unpleasant.

They made their way back towards the apartments, chattering merrily.

Kisha suddenly fell silent. She froze in her tracks.

‘What is it?’ hissed Eliana.

‘Shh! Bow, Elly!’ Kisha lowered her head and bent from the waist, stepping back off the path.

Eliana scoffed – she wouldn’t bow before she knew who was supposed to be worthy of her respect! She looked up the path and saw a little party approaching, headed by a richly dressed woman old enough to be their mother. Scurrying behind her was a portly woman of a similar age, and beside her walked two guards. Even from a distance, Eliana recognised the taller of the two as the Brute. She felt physically sick to look at him, wanting to vomit all over again.

As the woman approached, Eliana saw that she was short and spare. Her purple silks were neatly tailored to her tiny frame, fringed and beaded with gold. A golden diadem set with amethyst sat atop her brow.

But more striking than her clothes was her face. It was a face lined by bitterness and set with permanent displeasure.

She stopped in front of the sisters and looked Eliana up and down. ‘Well, at least the concubine knows her place.’ She turned to the Brute, ‘and who is this impudent piece of work?’

‘The new whore, ma’am.’ He replied, all deference and courtesy.

‘Ah,’ she turned back to Eliana. ‘I have heard of you. You are the concubine’s sister.’

It wasn’t a question. Eliana held her silence and gazed steadily back.

‘Well, whore; my husband is a man of unusual appetites. He will break you and mould you into a copy of your spineless sister before tiring of you and packing you off to a city brothel. A common thing like you, it shouldn’t take long.’

‘He won’t break me,’ said Eliana calmly.

The woman raised her eyebrows. ‘Girl, I have been married to the prince since he was six years old. I practically raised him. He was the sort of child who would break a cat’s hind legs for the sheer amusement of seeing it haul itself about on its front paws. I guarantee he will break you, and I look forward to the day.’

She swept past imperiously, forcing Eliana to take a step backwards or be collided with.

Balling her fists, Eliana forced herself to keep calm as the Brute strode past. He looked at her with a lecherous hunger in his face. Her stomach cramped in disgust, and she was glad she had only eaten a small breakfast.

Kisha held her bow – the Brute deliberately barged her aside as he passed, sending her staggering in the dirt.

Eliana rushed to catch her sister, now more easily knocked off-balance with her heavy, cumbersome belly. She let out the breath she had been holding in an angry hiss and looked after him.

‘Leave it,’ ordered Kisha. ‘You won’t do us any good by arguing with him. Besides, it’s all at her instigation.’

They carried on slowly up the path. ‘That was Susa, then?’ asked Eliana.

‘Yes – she hates me. If my child is a prince, he will displace her son from the line of succession. She has been trying her best to make me miscarry, but the child is strong. When... when I sent you that message... I was afraid for my life, and baby’s. She had the Brute push me down a flight of stairs – I bled so heavily that I thought, well, you know...’

Eliana gripped her sister’s hand, not trusting herself to speak.

‘But it was all alright,’ smiled Kisha. ‘I wish I hadn’t sent the message, then you would be safe. But I’m glad to have you with me.’

‘Why is she so awful?’ Eliana burst out.

‘It’s as she said – she was married off to Samsu when he was six years old, and she more than twenty. She’s an Elamite princess. King Hammurabi conquered her father’s kingdom two decades ago and took her hostage – he married her off to his son to ensure their good behaviour; no matter than she had her own son, a boy of an age with her new husband!’

Eliana was silent. She supposed that being love-starved for so many years would leave anybody bitter and resentful. She would not allow it to happen to herself.

‘Never mind,’ said Kisha. ‘You had to meet her eventually. Now that’s all done with. Come on – I’ll show you our gardens.’

She quickened her pace, dragging Eliana back to their rooms before they could encounter any more trouble.