Chapter 19

Eliana dressed Kisha for eternity – a sapphire-blue tiered gown, gilded sandals at her feet, a circlet of gold set on her brow as a marker of her status. Her blue-black curls, so like her sister's, were washed and brushed out until they shone, forming a soft bed beneath her body. As a final touch, Eliana clipped their mother's lapis bracelet around Kisha's wrist in the hopes that it might give her a smile when she reached the underworld.

Perhaps it would also help their mother to recognise Kisha's shade – she had been so very small when they last saw each other.

Kisha was taken away to be entombed, the bed was cleaned, every trace of blood was washed from the floor, but the rooms would never feel like home again. The sun that warmed them had been extinguished.

Trying to make Sarri understand had been so difficult. She welcomed her new baby sister with a delighted squeal, and her aunt with a wary gaze. It had not occurred to Eliana that her niece would no longer know her – she had been away for five months, almost half the girl's life – she had only celebrated her first birthday six weeks before. Too young to understand the finality of death, but old enough to understand that Eliana was not her mother, Sarri had wailed for hours when Kisha did not come.

Eliana cried with her.

Eventually, Sarri quieted and snuggled into her aunt, snuffling and hiccupping occasionally as she caught her breath. She was a pretty little thing, with a cloud of dark curls and big black eyes like her mother's, framed by long lashes. She would be a beauty when she was older.

Eliana was almost grateful that the girl was so small that she would not remember her mother as she grew. It would be less painful for her that way.

Numb with grief and fired with anger by turns, Eliana tried to keep herself occupied – with a lively little one and a newborn in the rooms, there was plenty to do, and always a child to watch. Sarri had grown so much in her absence; she was pulling herself up on the furniture and toddling about, trying out her favourite word, telling anyone who would listen, no. Everything was interesting to her – Eliana and Mari had to be careful to keep everything not meant for her little hands well out of reach.

Just four days after Kisha's body was taken away, Ashan knocked at the door.

Mari answered it while Eliana sat giving the newborn her feed. Her heart sank as she looked at Ashan's face – his expression was grim; this wasn't a social call.

'What does he want now?' she cut straight to the heart of the matter, not bothering with a greeting.

'He wants to see you – you're to come with me now.'

'I'm busy. He can wait.'

'He doesn't wait.'

'Well he'll have to. I refuse to go.'

Ashan sighed. He had hoped that she wouldn't be stubborn – now that her chain was off, she was asserting control over her own movements again.

'You can't refuse – you know that he'll get you there one way or another.'

She shrugged, uncaring. Her hatred for Samsu was eating her alive – she blamed him entirely for her sister's death and could not be sure what she would do when she next came face-to-face with him.

'Eliana!' Ashan barked in his military voice. 'If you do not come with me, the prince may send his Brute after you, and then the girls will be in danger. Is that what you want?'

She shot him a withering look, 'of course it isn't. Don't be ridiculous.'

'Then you'll come?'

'Fine!' she stood abruptly, handing the baby to Mari. 'Take them out somewhere,' she instructed. 'Anywhere. The gardens, the bathhouses, I don't care. Just take them somewhere that isn't these rooms, where they can't be immediately found and used as leverage over me.'