Chapter 28 | part 2b

Samsu stood. 'Thus die all those who threaten Babylon, her king, or his family,' he said, turning and making his way painfully down the steps of the dais.

Left alone up there, Eliana suddenly could not bear the sight of the corpse or the smell of blood – her stomach turned and she felt ill, but she could not – must not – show any sign of weakness on a stage before all the court.

She rose gracefully and descended the steps after Samsu, then walked away in the opposite direction, heading for a favourite path that followed the entire perimeter of the palace walls.

By the time she had walked a complete circuit, she felt calm and at peace, confident that she had made the right decision and seen justice done not just for herself, but for Mari, the people of Nippur, and everyone else he had wronged.

There was an ominous silence as she entered her apartments. They were usually a hive of activity, with servants and messengers coming and going at all hours. Now, they were deserted.

A bolt of pure panic shot through her and she ran to the nursery door. It stood ajar.

Mari and Tabi were nowhere to be seen, but there, in the middle of the room, Samsu stood examining her daughter.

He had Nisala stood on a bench before him, to raise her up to his eyeline. Scrutinising her from every angle, he pinched at her face and arms, poked at her waist, tugged at her hair. The girl had her eyes squeezed tight shut, clutching her doll, tears running down her face. Against the far wall, Sarri and Kisuri huddled together.

Eliana had to restrain herself from running over there and snatching her daughter from the bench, away from his probing hands.

She forced herself to speak calmly, 'Is everything alright, sir?'

Samsu turned blazing eyes on her, 'She is mine, I suppose?'

Keeping her face mild and impassive, she said 'Of course. I belong to you, and you alone, as does Nisala.'

'I wonder,' he sneered. 'You started your career as a whore – the Great Whore of Babylon, the people called you – who in their right mind would expect fidelity from a whore?'

She felt her anger rising dangerously, but maintained an even tone, 'Your unwilling whore, sir. I was never loose or light with my morals.'

Grabbing Nisala's chin, he twisted her head, forcing her face towards the window. 'She doesn't look like me,' he snarled suspiciously.

'Children do not always take after their fathers,' she shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant.

'The traitor said she and Eshu could be Ashan's. In certain lights, I see it.'

'I do not,' she replied, the lie coming easily, forcing down the rising terror. 'There is no reason that they should look like Ashan. You heed the words of a known traitor over your most trusted commander?'

'He was one of my most trusted commanders, until he was proven a traitor,' shouted Samsu. 'Who's to say if any of these little harlots are mine?! Marduk alone knows.' He gave Nisala a violent shove, sending her stumbling backwards off the bench. She hit her head on the floor as she fell, lay stunned for a moment, then began to cry loudly in pain and fear.

Eliana went running to her daughter, dropped to her knees and gathered her up in a hug. She pressed her fingers lightly over the sore spot – there was a lump forming, but no blood. There seemed to be no lasting harm. She rocked Nisala gently, arms wrapped protectively around her, shushing her as they knelt at Samsu's feet.

'You are a whore!' he bellowed. 'Once a whore, always a whore! I was a fool to make you my queen, to acknowledge children you cannot prove are mine!'