Chapter 25 | part 2

She was shown to a suite of three small rooms – pretty enough, with windows looking out over the banks of the canal. The shutters were thrown open and the low-ceilinged reception chamber was flooded with light and suffused with a cool breeze. The rooms were near to Samsu's, the steward told her, as though that would please her. She smiled brightly and thanked the man.

As he withdrew, she couldn't help but think: this was the same man who had ignored her as less than a dog during those dark months when she had sat at Samsu's feet in chains, and now he bowed and scraped as if he could never do enough to please her. The ways of the gods were strange indeed.

So, her rooms were near her husband's. She fervently hoped that was mere coincidence, and he did not want to keep her close for any more amorous reason. Her body was still sore and tender from the trauma of the birth just a fortnight ago. With any luck, Samsu would give her a few weeks' respite yet. He would be busy, after all.

'Your Highness?' a tentative voice behind her said.

She swung around – two girls stood in the entrance to her rooms, probably in their mid-teenage years. They were stark opposites in their bearing. The first girl was plain and homely, a little on the plump side, but she had a pleasant demeanour and an open, friendly smile. The second girl was a pretty thing, short and slight, with long, elegant fingers and a slender neck; her full lips were pursed in a sulky pout, and her face bore an unmistakeable scowl. Something about the girl bothered Eliana.

'Yes, can I help you?'

The plainer girl spoke. 'We have been sent by the prince...'

'The king.' Eliana corrected, gently.

'The – the king,' the girl stammered, blushing. 'We are your new maids. Happy to serve, Your Highness.'

'Very well, and what are your names?'

'I am Tabi, my queen,' smiled the first girl.

'And I am Adra, Highness,' said the sullen one.

As she spoke, Eliana realised what it was that bothered her about this girl, where she had seen her before: Susa's rooms. Her heart sank as she recognised Adra for what she was – a spy sent by Susa. She sighed inwardly, would the woman never give up? No doubt she was cooped up somewhere in smaller rooms than she was expecting somewhere on the ship – Ashan had promised to try to keep them apart as far as possible, for the sake of the peace.

'Welcome!' Eliana forced a smile. 'I am very glad to have you – Mari and I have had our hands quite full, with four children and Mari's own on the way. Tabi, find your way to the nursery and help Mari – tell her that I've given you into her charge.'

'Yes, Highness,' Tabi gave an obedient little curtsey and disappeared.

'Adra, you can tend to me.'

'What should I do?' the girl asked, insolently.

It was all Eliana could do not to roll her eyes. A rude teenager was not what she had hoped for when she'd asked Samsu for a new maid – Susa's hand in this was plain to see.

'Fetch me some food and a jug of water,' she said, firmly.

Adra gave a barely noticeable incline of the head and left.

Eliana sank into a window seat and dropped her head into her heads, enjoying the peace. Given the choice, she would have rathered keep Tabi as her maid and send the surly Adra out of sight to the nursery, but she did not dare to have Susa's spy around her children. She half-expected her own food to come back poisoned, though she was determined not to fall into paranoia. Samsu had been quite clear that if any harm befell Eliana, Susa would be the first person upon whom the blame would fall, she must take that as some sort of security and make the best of it. She would keep Adra nearby, where she could keep an eye on her.