Pathetic Fallacy

Reincarnation

Chapter 13

It had been a long day for Ciel. Mondays were never good for him and this one had been especially desponding. Now that Sebastian knew he wasn't a reincarnation Ciel no longer had a great advantage over him. He still had some tricks up his sleeve, but there were small and trivial compared to the advantage that he had had. He was also no longer confident that he would be able to carry out what the Grim Reapers had ordered him to do as well as what his ancestor had requested him to do. Also having to make sure that his right eye was always hidden by his hair was a pain and disorienting his sight as well as playing havoc with his depth perception.

Due to his pileup of stress Ciel swapped his usual quick shower for a long soak in the bath and felt his worries temporarily ebb away into the steaming hot water. He had fun going back to his childhood and giving himself a Father Christmas beard making snowmen out of bubbles. He had also considered lighting some scented candles, but that was one step too far into femininity for him, although he knew Alois did it.

A sharp knock at the bathroom door punctuated his half an hour of forgetting that he was a descendant of Ciel Phantomhive and that his loved ones' lives hung in the balance if he didn't make a contract with a demon for his soul.

"Young master Ciel? It is nearly 9 o'clock and you have school tomorrow," Sebastian's voice called, muffled by the door.

Ciel opened his eyes and yawned. Time had flown by too quickly for his liking and reminded him that he had a time limit.

"I'm coming," he replied and stepped out the bath and pulled out the plug. He picked up his pyjamas to put on. The thought of Sebastian seeing him in a towel was embarrassing for him.

Sebastian was still waiting outside five minutes later when Ciel finally exited the bathroom in his blue and white striped pyjamas with his wet hair covering his right eye and dripping water onto the collar. He clicked his tongue and tutted.

"If you go to bed with wet hair, you will catch a cold," the butler reprimanded and pulled the boy's towel out of his hands and rubbed his hair dry with the towel like he had done for the boy's ancestor over 100 years ago.

The action felt pleasant to Sebastian and he remembered again how he had enjoyed serving his human former master. Making jokes about how incapable he was at physical tasks, enjoying watching him concoct his nefarious plots and touching him whenever he could... Admiring his glowing pale skin when he washed his hair in the bath...

He stopped rubbing and pulled the towel away from Ciel's head. He patted the boy's head with his gloved hand to check for moisture.

"Your hair is dry now, young master Ciel," he said quietly and handed the wet towel back to the boy.

"Thank you Sebastian," Ciel replied. "Good night."

He turned away from the butler and walked down the hallway to his bedroom. Alois was sitting up in his bed on his laptop.

"You were a long time in the bath," Alois commented as Ciel slipped in on the other side of the double bed. "I was waiting for you, but you took so long I started reading some nice Yaoi manga." He rotated the screen towards Ciel who flinched when he saw the picture on the screen.

"You should stay off the dodgy websites, Alois," he yawned and snuggled into his bedcover. "Good night."

As Alois clicked away on his laptop Ciel pondered the altercation he had just had with Sebastian. His touch had felt familiar for some reason and he had found himself enjoying it. He stared down at the ring that was hanging from his neck on a chain. He always wore the ring as he was afraid of losing it or it getting stolen, but now he wondered if it really was the best thing as it was clearly having some kind of effect on him.