Spiders

Reincarnation

Chapter 8:

"Oh."

For once Sebastian was lost for words.

He had just answered the doorbell to find his young master and the Alois Trancy brat on the doorstep, both with suitcases. Trancy was wearing a pair of very short shorts like his namesake in the 19th Century. Judging by the suitcase he seemed to be intending to stay.

"Good morning," Sebastian," Ciel greeted him politely. "Are you going to let us in or not?"

Immediately Sebastian recovered and remembered his role as a Phantomhive butler.

"Of course," he said and moved aside to let them step inside. "I will take your suitcases. Will Master Trancy be staying for the night?"

"He will be staying for the week," Ciel informed him with a smirk as he walked down the hallways with his best friend.

"Where will he be sleeping?"

"In my bed of course," Ciel replied as it that was obvious.

Sebastian could hear their laughter as they walked up the staircase. He sighed, it was going to be a long week with Alois Trancy in the house. He knew why Ciel had invited Alois Trancy to stay, it was so there was little chance of him ending alone with Sebastian which was something that Sebastian had been hoping to achieve so he could interrogate him. However he could still ask him about the riddle in public.

Sebastian effortlessly carried their suitcases up the stairs, noting that Ciel's seemed lighter that it had looked the day before. When he got to Ciel's bedroom the pair were sitting on the bed that he had perfectly made the day before which was now rumpled and they were watching a video on Ciel's phone. Sebastian deposited the suitcases neatly in the corner and turned to leave.

"Young master Ciel," he said suddenly.

Ciel paused the video and looked up. "What is it?"

"Do you have your copy of the riddle that was found in your ancestor's portrait?"

The boy's eyes narrowed momentarily before he got up from the bed. "It didn't lead to anything so I tore it up, but I did memorise it. Do you want to hear it?"

"If you would."

"First think of the person who lives in disguise,

who deals in secrets and tells naught but lies

Next tell me what's always the last thing to mend,

the middle of middle and end of the end?

And finally give me the sound often heard

during the search of a hard-to-find word.

Now string them together and answer me this,

What creature would you be unwilling to kiss?"

Sebastian instantly memorised it as he wondered if the boy was telling the truth. His recital had been too quick for something made up on the spot. His fast brain instantly solved the puzzle. A person that lived in disguise and lied was a "spy", the middle of middle was "d"and the sound often heard was "er"

If you strung them together you would get "spy-d-er" which of course a spider.

"The answer is spider. Am I right?"

"Yes. I went to the place where all the spiders gather in this house which is the attic, but all I found was this old chess piece."

Ciel walked over to his bedside table and took a chess piece out of the top drawer and then he handed it to Sebastian. It was the black knight and part of its head had been hacked at with a knife leaving behind discoloured marks.