Twenty-four

*EDITED*

As I headed to Professor Snape's office for detention I thought about the letter I was going to write Brittany.

Drew, Sam and Mel had written theirs and told me to write mine then we would send them out tomorrow.

I sighed and continued to think it over as I stepped into Professor Snape's classroom. Blaise was already there relaxing at one of the tables.

"Ah Miss Coal, so nice of you to join us." Professor Snape sneered.

I looked at my watch and saw I was five minutes early. Deciding against aggravating him I sat at the table next to Blaise but ignored him.

"You're both going to be sorting out these files and placing them in the correct cabinets. I'll be back in two hours, try not to break anything." He told us, walking out of the classroom after pointing at the files as cabinets.

"Did you read my letter?" Was the first think Blaise said to me.

I walked over to the files before answering him.

"No, I haven't had the chance. I'll be reading it after detention."

The tension in the room seemed to rise every moment. Blaise hadn't moved from his seat and I was nearly done filing the first drawer.

"I'm sorry." He spoke after a while.

I didn't reply at work, I placed the files in their drawer and moved onto the next pile.

"Are you really going to ignore me?"

I could see him raise an eyebrow out of the corner of my eye.

"I'm not ignoring you Blaise, I'm doing our job." Emphasis on the our part.

I heard a stool strap across the stone floor and footsteps. Next thing I knew I was up against the cabinet.

"Why are you so stubborn?" Blaise whispered looking deep into my eyes.

His eyes were like a pool of molten chocolate. Or one of those Muggle chocolate fountains, I found myself craving chocolate. Great.

"I'm not stubborn. Why are you so secretive?" I pried.

"I have my secrets and you have yours. Don't try to tell me you don't have a dark side to you as well." He was so close now.

His breath smelled up peppermint and Firewhiskey again. I had been meaning to ask where he acquired some.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't but usually when two people like each other they tell each other those things." I whispered back harshly.

Then my eyes widened in shock and I realized what I had done.

I did two things.

First, I implied he liked me back.

Second, I just told him I liked him.

Fuck.

He chuckled, his already dark eyes gleamed black in the moonlight that streamed through the windows.

"So, you do like me then?" He asked with a mischievous tone.

"So what if I do?" I kept my voice steady, or tried to since he had moved closer.

Our bodies pressed together, it was becoming very had to concentrate. I was afraid Professor Snape would walk in any minute causing both of us to get even more detentions.

"So what if you do? Well, I'm only asking because the feelings are mutual." His lips were mere inches from mine.

If either of us moved forward they would touch. I was about to close the distance when Blaise stepped away from me and walked to the files. Then I heard distant footsteps and knew it might be someone to check on us.

I stepped towards Blaise, but stood on the opposite side of the desk and leaned over to grab some of the files.

"What on earth are you two doing?"

I turned around and saw Professor McGonagall.

"We're sorting files for Professor Snape." I told her.

She simply rolled her eyes and with a flick of her wand, the files were sorted and placed in their corresponding drawers.

Blaise and I looked at her in confusion.

"Professor?"

"Both of you head on back to your dorms. I assume you have homework to be done." She left the room and I turned to look at Blaise but he simply shrugged.

Well that was weird.

|<>|<>|<>|<>|<>|<>|

The next few days were just as strange leading up to this weekend. I hadn't even realized it was already Valentine's Day! Of course it was the day before and everyone was hoping for a Valentine.

I on the other hand was finally getting around to reading Blaise's letter, after sending off mine a few days prior to Brittany. I hope she's alright. Sadly Ravenclaw was already in last for the Quidditch Cup, we had to forfeit our last match since Brittany couldn't play, Mel wasn't too happy.

As I sat on my bed, I pulled Blaise's letter out of my bag and opened it. Pulling out the parchment. I opened it and it was a simply letter.

Emerald,

By the time you reach the end of this letter I expect you to hate me. Either that or you'll mysteriously forgive me even though I haven't actually done anything yet.

I suppose I'll start by apologizing for how I acted Monday. I didn't mean to leave you to clean up the mess I made and it was an awful first date. Unless you consider our trip to Hogsmede that one time a date, then Monday was a terrible second date. My point is, I'm sorry.

I'm not exactly sure how to tell you what I want for the second part of this letter. This is the part where I know you'll hate me. I hope though if you don't that maybe we'll have a chance?

A chance to be together? If I haven't told you already, I like you. I like how you're ambitious even though you're a Ravenclaw. You're incredibly smart I'm sure you give Granger a run for her money. I like your red hair, which (Thank God) is not the same shade as the Weasley's. Your gorgeous deep red hair almost looks black in some lights and it's beautiful, it matches your beautiful personality. However, what I like the most about you is your name. Emerald. Go figure it's the same green color as Slytherin, and call me cheesy but it makes me think that's fate. Fate that I would fall for a girl like you. A girl no one would ever expect me to. A girl I shouldn't have. A girl I've possibly put in danger.

I'm not sure how to tell you but.

Emerald.

I'm a Death Eater.

With that, I burned all evidence of the letter in case it was found and I sat and thought.

Holy fuck. I like a Death Eater. Dad's not going to like that.