One

*EDITED*

Emerald

-

-

I fiddled with my braid as my father and I rode a carriage towards Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I didn't want to spend the next two years here for school. I wanted to remain at Beuxbatons, but sadly, due to certain circumstances, I had no choice.

I looked out of the window of the carriage and saw a magnificent castle coming towards us. It must've been over three hundred years old, yet it looked as though it was built fifty years ago.

I sat back normally in my seat. I would be starting here as a Sixth year. I apparently had to be sorted into my own house. It was extremely uncommon for a sixteen-year-old to start here at Hogwarts, however, the Headmaster had made an exception for me, thanks to my father, and because of the war that is starting.

Hogwarts was considered the safest place in the Wizarding World right now because Albus Dumbledore was the Headmaster. As we got closer to the school I thought about which house I might be placed.

If I was lucky perhaps Dumbledore might let me be sorted now, and just introduce me at the beginning of the school year. However, my luck was no so good nowadays.

We pulled up to the door of the castle and my father stepped out of the carriage, holding out his hand for me to grab so that I wouldn't trip on the wet stone.

"Ah, Rufus. Wonderful to see you, I hope the trip was well?" A rather tall witch greeted my father and me at the door.

"Hello, Minerva. Yes, the trip was fine. Might I introduce my daughter? Emerald." I smiled at the Witch.

"Wonderful to meet you, dear. Now if you'll both follow me, the Headmaster is waiting."

We followed her through the castle. I looked at all of the paintings around me. They were all moving. I waved back at a woman holding a baby who had waved at me.

"Emerald dear keep up please." My father spoke and I sped up, keeping my pace behind my father.

We stopped in front of a gargoyle statue.

"Sour Pops." The witch who I found out would be my Transfiguration professor said.

The gargoyle jumped to the side and a staircase started to rise upward. We all stepped onto it. The staircase rose high above us. I couldn't see the top, nor could I see the bottom. What seemed like ages but was probably only a few minutes we arrived at, I assumed, the top of the staircase. There was an oak door that must have led to the Headmaster's office.

"He is waiting for you both, please go ahead in." Professor McGonagall told us.

My father thanked her and I smiled at her before we entered his office.

Of all the offices I've been in, and I've been in quite a few, this was the most interesting.

It was a rather large room with many different sorts of spinning devices and lots of old books. Portraits of the old Headmasters and Headmistresses hung around the room. However, what captured my attention the most was a beautiful red and orange-colored bird. A Pheonix. I slowly walked over to him and he turned his head to look at me with one eye.

I smiled at him.

"His name is Fawkes." A voice spoke.

I quickly stood back next to my father and looked up at the balcony overhanging the room.

Headmaster Dumbledore stood there staring at me with a glint of amusement in his light eyes. His half-moon speckles catching the light in the room. He walked down the stairs to come greet us.