Chapter 7: The Town

Vahla standing firmly with her eyes closed, breathed the air in and out as if she tasted it, trying to focus on her task at hand. Zedd, Rian and Breien are around her, waiting for the spell to engulf them. Breien noticed Zedd's face, trembling and soaking wet with his own perspiration.

"First time?"

"You bet!" Zedd's eyes lights up as he feels the air around them is getting stronger.

"Are you afraid or excited?"

"Kind of both..."

"Trust me... The first time sucks..."

Zedd was taken aback by what Breien has said, balls of energy appeared from their sides, encircled them slowly. The balls are increasing in numbers and seized them all in a blink. Blinded by the light, Zedd felt a creeping pain in his eyes and tries to hold his face.

Rian notices Zedd felt uncomfortable and taped his shoulder.

"Are you ok? We're here now."

Zedd moaned in pain and tries to open his eyes, Vahla, Rian and Breien are all looking at him, almost teary eyed.

"I'm fine guys don't worry."

The women sighed in relief as Zedd puzzled by their looks.

"Let's go! We haven't much time left!" Breien calls for action.

They've teleported in forrest nearby in Rosanos. They walked in the greener side of the road and tried to look out for danger. After a few moments, Zedd tries to remember the forrest when he was a child and spoke something that he can't believe himself.

"I don't remember this part of the forrest. Are you sure this is nearby Rosanos?" Zedd asked Vahla.

"Yes. Before I cast the spell of teleportation, I pointed at it in the map to have a reference."

Zedd still confused about the forrest.

"I think you're delusional. It's impossible that Vahla can be wrong about her teleportation, we always arrive at the spot we want to." Breien rebuts.

"Thank you Breien for defending me but there's a possibility that Zedd was right..."

Both Rian's and Breien's jaw dropped to what Vahla has replied to them. Zedd was surprised himself.

"There's a possibility that the Archbishop changed the landscape..."

"I hate to admit it but there is a possibility..." Breien agreed to Vahla's theory.

"Even he did changed the landscape, the town is still there." Rian interjects.

"We just have to keep on our toes from now... Who knows what surprises in store for us?"

All of them agreed, they continued their walking in the lone road in the forrest. As they walked, Breien noticed that most of the trees have dried barks, hardly has leaves but has arm-sized branches.

"This place gives me creeps..." Breien breaked the ice.

"Everything is wrong in here..." Zedd agrees with Breien.

As they walked furthermore, they saw the welcoming arc of the Rosanos Village, letters are fallen and its wood is tattered and burned. Zedd's eyes widen in horror and can't believe what happen.

"Who goes there?!" Rian felt they're being watched, not far from them as she met eyes with the observer.

"It's a man..." Rian confirmed.

"I think this is the part where I'll take over!" Breien dashed furiously towards the direction that Rian pointed. Vahla and Zedd followed her behind.

Breien activated her Ourous and jumped ahead enough of the suspicious observer, drew her sword and pointed at him.

"Who are you?" Breien demanded.

"I think I should be asking you that question." The pursuant replied to her.

Breien felt blood surge into her head, she activated her Ourous, she lifts up her sword and it lights up, ready to slash the man.

"Wait! Stop!" Vahla the first one to arrive in the scene stopped Breien.

"What are you doing? Don't you see he's a spy of the church?!" Breien reasoned out.

"You look more like a spy to me..." the man replied.

"Why you –"

"Stop!" Zedd arrived at the scene, making a sense out of Breien.

"We don't yet if he's really a spy... We have to talk to him first and then we'll decide what to do with him..."

Zedd's words resonate to Breien's conscience as she withdraw her Ourous and her sword.

"Better be quick in interrogating that guy!" Breien stormed out.

"I don't understand all of you people! Get out of our village!" The man replied furiously against them.

"Relax young one... We will not hurt you..." Vahla lifted her right hand pointing at the man, activated her Ourous. A small ball of light appeared at the tip of her finger, fired a ray of light that projects thru the man's head. The man fell down unconscious.

"What did you do?!" Zedd surprised by Vahla's act.

"It's hard to explain to him when we just use words... I gave him some of our memories so that he can fully understand our situation..." Vahla replied.

"What if he's the spy of the church?! You can't risk something like that!" Breien now clenching her sword to draw.

"Don't worry... He's not..."

"How did you know?" Rian asked.

"I read his eyes... The eyes of an victim..." Vahla replied.

The man slowly opened his eyes and stands up. Looks at Vahla and the rest of the group, still feeling nauseated by the ray that hit him.

"Then you're must be Vahla?" The man looked at her more calmed.

"Yes. I am."

"My apologies. My name is Dayen – "

"And I thought you're a wild man..." Breien interrupted.

"I thought you're one from the church... I saw you guys teleported a while ago..." Dayen replied.

"He's got a point. Not everyone in Septua can use that kind of spell..." Zedd defended Dayen's point.

"What happened to the village?" Rian asked Dayen.

Dayen looked away, his fist clenched until he's shaken, his teeth grinded in anger as he tries to recall what happen.

"The men from the church... They destroyed everything in the village!" Dayen raised his voice in anger.

"He killed my wife and son..." Dayen sobbed hard as he could, Breien stuptified by what she heard.

"I'm sorry to hear that... I lost a love one too..." Zedd pats Dayen's shoulder looks at him, calmer than before as he can relate with him.

The four of them try to calm Dayen in his depressing state. A few moments later, Dayen had done weeping, tried to clear his throat and combed his hair with his fingers.

"Do you know why the church attacked you?" Breien adjusted her tone to being courteous.

"We're not actually believers of the church... We don't actually pray to them... That's why when I saw you guys teleported in this forest, I thought you're one of them..."

"What are they looking for?" Vahla asked Dayen.

"I don't really know but they're still in the village. Build a camp in there."

The four of them faced each other, hinting that this might be what they're looking for.

"They're waiting for someone..."

"I think it's us that they're waiting for..." Zedd concluded.